Orange Medaka Rice Fish Eggs and Fungus

Erick Henry

I have had some rice fish for a week or so in a small established pond containing a single endler and 20 or so rice fish. Several of the females are producing eggs on a daily basis and distributing them or the mop and hyacinth etc. Last night I noticed “ hairs” growing off of several of the eggs and I removed them from the mop. Does any one have advice on reducing or eliminating this issue.   below is a brief description of the tank. Are their issues with drift wood, dirted tanks, or found plants in this set up..? 

I have a dirted “tank” with a large stone maybe 15 lb on the bottom and some drift wood planted in substrate is some narrow leaf valasineria. Floating in water is hornwort. In a basket I have 2x lotus tubers and some misc pond plants form a local lake ( 1 is eastern water chestnut- 1 is a mystery..) floating loose is water hyacinth and some frog bits ( I think) .. hope this helps. I attached a link to an older video post of more of the pond.. pond is ceramic planter about  20” tall and a 20” diameter. Had a hole I plugged with Aquarium Safe Silicone and some plastic cutting board..

B40BE2EA-17B0-47DE-B515-E2B23DB70BCA.jpeg

D490861D-5674-4BAC-B54D-EE8CA48C04A1.jpeg

Just now, Colu said:

I usely add methylene blue 1teaspoon for ten gallons to help provent fungas on fish eggs

I was trying to leave the mop in the pond and not remove it. Methblue cannot got in a fish tank only a breeder box for egg hatch out correct..? 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I use methylene blue also but separate the eggs from the mop or roots. I just use a cup and leave the eggs in there with the methylene blue solution and I get a good hatch out of it. 

Some people even performs a water changes for the cups holding the eggs to keep the water clean.