Walstad method + Dwarf cichlids = bad idea?

Lemon

so I am thinking I want to set up a Walstad method tank, and I have some kribs in qt. the concern is they will dig and cloud up the tank from what I understand a walstad tank is top soil capped with gravel sand. I want to breed them will that be a issue? 

sorry if that was confusing 😅I got a new tank so I am exited thinking about what I want to do

• Like 1

I am not a cichlid person so take what I am about to say with a grain of salt. 

If you make the sand cap deep enough they won't be able to dig deep enough, I would follow father fishes guidance on how to do it, if i remember right its about 2 inches of mud, 3-5 inches of sand depending on the size of the tank/how good of diggers they are. Also, I always heard cichlids are no good with plants so also I am not sure how the walstad method would go but in terms of digging thats easy to just add more sand. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GardenStateGoldfish said:

I am not a cichlid person so take what I am about to say with a grain of salt. 

If you make the sand cap deep enough they won't be able to dig deep enough, I would follow father fishes guidance on how to do it, if i remember right its about 2 inches of mud, 3-5 inches of sand depending on the size of the tank/how good of diggers they are. Also, I always heard cichlids are no good with plants so also I am not sure how the walstad method would go but in terms of digging thats easy to just add more sand. 

I think they are fine with plants 🤔

4 hours ago, Streetwise said:

I can’t address Cichlids, but an organic soil tank is just fine with some mess. I stir up mulm with many of my top-offs, and nobody is bothered. In my shrimp tanks, it triggers a feeding frenzy.

ok thanks.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Joe L. said:

I am new to the Cichlid world, but I currently have a pair of Kribensis that are close to finishing quarantine. Although I have them in a bare-bottom tank temporarily, I’ve noticed that they enjoy digging around the tank, looking for nooks and crannies. I would caution against the Walstad method, specifically for a fish like Kribensis who like to dig and sift sand. I would go for root tabs and sand if I were you. Just offering my two cents.

ok thanks 🙂

Edited by quirkylemon103

Kribs - They will definitely rearrange the tank especially the substrate. Sorry to put the brakes on your Walstad plan. Other dwarf cichlids from South America would be a better choice. Apistos and Rams will sift sand but won’t move substrate around. MD Fishtanks on FishTube had some good video recently of his kribs digging down a couple inches to build a cave under some rocks if you want to get a visual of what they do typically. Here’s a pic I grabbed from google images from another forum to give an example. 

8ED5772A-A8C0-4BBE-A778-615FE125AC6D.jpeg

And...

You’re going to regret the decision to cap with sand.  Sand doesn’t let the organic soil “breathe”, it’s quickly going to trap hydrogen sulfide, and also form anaerobic pockets.  Not good.

A much better choice for the cap is 2-4mm gravel.  You should consider this, you will thank yourself in the long run.

Diane Walstadt herself discourages using sand as a cap.

• Like 1

My Kribs definitely sift sand but rarely dig because I offer them plenty of the coconut and cichlid caves that the Co-op sells. Although, I have a donut-shaped air stone and I saw a female keep disappearing down the middle of it that was flat against the sand, so she must have dug a cave several inches into the sand and raised her fry there. While it's not a walstad tank, it is pretty low tech with a jungle of süßwassertang.. so I imagine you could find a way to make it work ^^