Did my platy pond just randomly throw a new strain?

Hey all, recently after breaking down a 90 pond I had some platy's over winter in (I live in Florida lol) I found this guy. I worked in and ordered fish for an LFS for 5 years and never saw a platy like this with the thin tiger stripes and a distorted "mickey mouse" tail. I also found 3 other juveniles that have the same pattern. I'm planning on throwing them all together and seeing what happens but I'm wondering if anyone has ever seen this strain before? Sorry the quality isn't the best but the darn things just wont sit still.

20210517_123800.jpg

• Like 8
  • Love 5

Thanks for the replies guys, Just wanted to throw it in front of some other fish nerds to see if it already existed before I tried working the line a bit. It was a colony a couple hundred strong that started from 8 individuals so I thought there was a small chance a relatively narrow gene pool might show something when concentrated. Hopefully something comes of it!

Edited by Nature Coast Aquariums
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Various Vivaria said:

Do you have any limia? It looks like a hybrid between a mickey mouse platy and a limia.

I don't myself, but the group of fry I took to start my group came from a group of platy that originated from a mixed lot of platy from a wholesaler so whos to say what genetics can be floating around in there. I know limia belong to the same family but can they actually cross breed? 

Edited by Nature Coast Aquariums