Prime with Ich X

Adam Reilly

Hello all. Using Ich X during quarantine period but need a water conditioner for changes due to chloramine in the tap. I have used Prime during my time in the hobby but have heard it can reduce the medicinal effects of Ich X. Thoughts or advise would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

32 minutes ago, Adam Reilly said:

Hello all. Using Ich X during quarantine period but need a water conditioner for changes due to chloramine in the tap. I have used Prime during my time in the hobby but have heard it can reduce the medicinal effects of Ich X. Thoughts or advise would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Yeah, the stinky conditioners are not as good to use with Ich-X. Try API Tap Water Conditioner. 

B7F357DB-C7A8-4F9E-961A-75B5C9F3AE32.jpeg

Prime has sulfur, that is why it smells like rotten eggs. Any product with sulfur will cause Ich X to be less effective. They suggest their dechlorinator "Ultimate" which does everything Prime does and more with no sulfur in it. If you have this API bottle just check the ingredients. 

1 hour ago, Adam Reilly said:

Seems like the Ich X killed off my nitrobacter bacteria. Nitrite levels have spiked in the past 4 days with recommended water changes. Not sure the meds are worth it if my cycle gets destroyed.

I didn't have this experience, but Maracyn did kill off some of my good bacteria (when I was treating an active infection). Were you treating for an active Ich infection or was it prophylactic?

6 hours ago, Adam Reilly said:

Currently treating for ich.

Then I would say that the medication is worth it. The setback in the biofilter is a pain in the butt, but it should bounce back relatively quickly. Mine took a little over a week and might have been taken care of sooner if I didn't keep messing with it/changing the water/adding prime.

• 10 months later...
On 4/3/2022 at 8:29 PM, LumosNox22 said:

Question….say if you do use prime cause that’s all you had on hand…is there a wait period of time that would be safe to use ich x?

I believe prime breaks down after 48 hrs, so in theory you could wait 48 hrs until you put the next dose of ich x. I guess this would work if you were using it for the med trio, since you have to let the fish soak in the med bath for a week. However, if you were using ich x to treat an active case of ich, you would have to do a water change every 24 hrs and add another dose of ich x, which means you can't wait 48 hrs for the prime to break down. 

Edit: came across this, so apparently using prime with ich x is fine? 

Edited by mapleleaf218
added thread link
  • Love 1

On 4/3/2022 at 9:30 PM, mapleleaf218 said:

Edit: came across this, so apparently using prime with ich x is fine? 

I only had prime when I treated for ich. It gets the job done (took me a few treatments). But I absolutely agree with my experiences and what Cory has experienced, I've never seen any issues using prime with anything in the med trio.

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Like 2

On 4/3/2022 at 10:31 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

I only had prime when I treated for ich. It gets the job done (took me a few treatments. But I absolutely agree with my experiences and what Cory has experiences, never seen any issues using prime with anything in the med trio.

Good to know! I learned something new today  😄

• Like 1