Advice needed

ScK

My water's ph is around 8.4 , possibly higher but my strips show it at 8.4 I've had 1 blue wag platy in a quarantine tank for about 3 weeks. He seems to be okay with the high ph on Saturday I bought 6  green corydoras and another blue wag platy and added them to the tank.  4 of the corydoras and the new platy died in like 48 hours. The first platy and 2 of the corys are still alive. Should I try to lower the ph for the 2 corys left? I read they need lower ph but don't know if lowering it now will kill them.

Just now, GardenStateGoldfish said:

Is that the PH of your tap? I wouldn't try and lower it if it is, you will have this battle every water change if you do.

Did you add any concrete to the tank like a cinder cinderblock? None weathered blocks can skyrocket the PH from leaching stuff out.

True about the tap water as well posted after I had fish can also acclimate

What are your other water parameters?

I personally have ph above 8, but have never had issues introducing new fish that I would attribute to ph. The importance of a specific ph is overstated in my opinion. I have kept several "low ph" fish before and they thrive and even spawn in my tanks. Having a relatively stable ph is more important than the actual number.

Edited by JaredL
  • Like 1