Nano Airpump Lifespan

KaitieG

I LOVE how quiet the nano airpumps are and get good flow through my filters with them.  That said, I've had two pumps from the coop that I've used less than 3 months die recently.  The second one was just this morning and I'll need to replace it ASAP.  Anyone else had this issue with longevity?  The pumps aren't expensive, but if I'm replacing them every couple months, that sure adds up fast!  

The noise of other airpumps drives me NUTS, so if the nanos have longevity issues, what are your recommendations for one that might be more durable that either comes quiet or is easy to make quiet?

So I need to qualify, I have three of the mini nano pumps.  Two I ordered elsewhere online when the coop was out so its entirely possible they were from a different vendor, and then I have one from the coop.  Two of my three have failed, both that I bought online from a different vendor have died after about a year.  So far the Coop's is still working just fine, but in general, I think my opinion on them is still out as I don't get a ton of airflow (could be operator error).  Either way though, its tough to beat the pricing and low energy usage on those things!  

I love them too but also have had one or two die around a year of use, and a couple random ebay ones die even sooner.

By design they will not last as long as diaphragm pumps. They use DC brushed motors which wear quicker and can have life spans in the ballpark of hundreds to a few thousand hours. I don't know the motor specs but getting a year or a little less out of one isn't surprising.

Edited by TheDukeAnumber1
grammor

8 minutes ago, TheDukeAnumber1 said:

I love them too but also have had one or two die around a year of use, and a couple random ebay ones die even sooner.

By design they will not last as long as diaphragm pumps. They use DC brushed motors which wear quicker and can have life spans in the ballpark of hundreds to a few thousand hours. I don't know the motor specs but getting a years our a little less out of one isn't surprising.

I can manage with a year...10 or 11 weeks doesn't seem as reasonable to me, so that's leading me to wonder if I got these from a bad batch and should just order some new ones or if I need a totally different option.  I haven't been using air valves or anything to restrict flow, they don't get overly warm when they run, and I have a couple still running that are over a year old. These newer ones just didn't seem to last. 😕

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KaitieG said:

I can manage with a year...10 or 11 weeks doesn't seem as reasonable to me, so that's leading me to wonder if I got these from a bad batch and should just order some new ones or if I need a totally different option.  I haven't been using air valves or anything to restrict flow, they don't get overly warm when they run, and I have a couple still running that are over a year old. These newer ones just didn't seem to last. 😕

I wonder that too. I took mine apart and the rubber diaphragms looked fine so I believe the motors gave out. It could be not great QC by the motor manufacturer which motors made at the same time can have very different life spans.

My approach has been to be more selective where when/where I use them. Only where size, noise, and or portability are important.

• Like 1

I’ve had about a 50% success rate with the AC usb nano air pumps. I’ve ordered about 6. One was a dud right off the bat (Candi took care of me). The other two worked fine after initial set up and running, but refused to work when I unplugged them, stored for a while (like a month or two), and then tried to use them again.  

I do like them. But it is frustrating when they unexpectedly stop working.  
i have a different, stronger one I use to run multiple sponge filters and I just dull the sound with a towel. 

• Like 1