Hello! Attempt 2 with fish, sponge filter question

Hello! I am a returning Newb to the fish keeping community. A few years ago I got a 39 gallon aquarium but I didn't know much and made a bunch of mistakes, when I lost the last of my fish I drained the tank and let it alone. I have since moved and am Getting back into the hobby with a 75g, keeping the 39 as a quarantine tank and am wanting to try plants this time. I have been listening to a bunch of YouTube videos and reading up on fish so I feel I am much better informed this time. I am having some questions regarding the Sponge filters, with a 75 gallon, should I look into getting more than one sponge filter or will a single Large be enough?

"large enough" is different things for different people. From a biofiltration, safe-for-your-fish standpoint, one will be enough unless you are wildly overstocked. From a water circulation (therefore algae prevention) standpoint many of us prefer 2, even if that means 2 smaller ones or one and an airstone only in the other end. If you mean spotlessly clean water with no water changes or vaccuming required, um...you may not be happy with sponge filters. Or possibly aquariums for that matter.

The reality is that there is no such thing as a completely maintinance free tank. You just choose which chores are the least objectionable. Sponge filters are reliable low maintenance biofiltration that provide gentle flow, and they are cheap. You will still need to remove detritus or plant matter, or something, and add fresh water.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Brandy said:

"large enough" is different things for different people. From a biofiltration, safe-for-your-fish standpoint, one will be enough unless you are wildly overstocked. From a water circulation (therefore algae prevention) standpoint many of us prefer 2, even if that means 2 smaller ones or one and an airstone only in the other end. If you mean spotlessly clean water with no water changes or vaccuming required, um...you may not be happy with sponge filters. Or possibly aquariums for that matter.

The reality is that there is no such thing as a completely maintinance free tank. You just choose which chores are the least objectionable. Sponge filters are reliable low maintenance biofiltration that provide gentle flow, and they are cheap. You will still need to remove detritus or plant matter, or something, and add fresh water.

thank you for the feed back, I am aware the sponge filters will still need normal aquarium maintenance ( I only previously had experience with HOB as It was a simple plug and play item that my brain could wrap around). Since the tank is 75 gallons I will take the advice and get two large ones, if it proves to be too much I can down grade one to a small and move the second one to the 39G.

That said, is here a recommended air pump? I see the one listed on Aquarium co-op is a HUGE one and I am at most having 2 tanks and don't think I would need one that large. but would like as quiet as one as I can reasonably get.

Thank you again for the suggestions its helping tremendously.

4 hours ago, Brandy said:

This should be required reading in Aquariums 101. In case it wasn't noticed the bit about flow and algae is gold.

Edited by Ken
  • Thanks 1

On 5/6/2021 at 8:09 PM, Brandy said:

Many of us run a nano pump on each filter--I have 5 of the little buggers in my bedroom. The pumps are silent, all you hear is bubbling, and with an airstone even that is minimal.

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/collections/air-pumps/products/usb-nano-air-pump

I agree about the nano pump... it’s completely silent 🙌🏻 I was extremely grateful for the switch since the old one sounded like an airplane engine.

I use one and split it to two filters in my 20 gal but maybe you might need 2... if not you can save the extra for your quarantine tank.

image.jpg