Help IDing ich on betta

Nomnomseoulja

Someone much more experienced than me will hopefully respond, but...

Maybe it's velvet?  If so...Ich-X treats that as well!

What are your tank parameters?  How long have you had this pretty guy?  And, does he have any other symptoms?

I was possibly thinking it could be velvet too but it looks more white then the brown/gold color velvet should be. 

the only parameter i have is its 78 degrees. This was a 20gal tank divided into three 6.6gal sections, however another one of my bettas died the other day so I took out all the dividers, did a water change and decided to medicate everything in the entire 20gal tank with the med trio. Forgot to get parameter before/after the water change and before dosing with meds. 

This guy is from Nov 2020, no other symptoms. He was eating well and very active prior to being medicated. Hes still active but i have held off feeding for a week.

The betta that died was from Dec 2020, I didnt see any obvious signs of disease on the betta that died.

Other inhabitants include pygmy corys, chili rasboras and neocaridina shrimp, which all currently exhibit no signs of disease.

He also looks a little fin melty to me...and the swim bladder area is a little suspect.

Please keep us updated on the Ich-X treatment!!!  I hope that sets him right!

If not, we'll be here to troubleshoot the next step with you!!

Does he have a name?  I've always wanted a red betta...but I think my husband would kick me if I got another one... 🤣

Well wait...after reading again, I might consider pausing treatment for a week...especially since he's already been medicated with the trio.

I'd do at least a 50% water change to remove some meds, give him a small meal to see if he'll eat (remove from tank if not), and then start Ich-X if his symptoms worsen or at the end of the week...whichever comes first.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Betsy said:

Well wait...after reading again, I might consider pausing treatment for a week...especially since he's already been medicated with the trio.

I'd do at least a 50% water change to remove some meds, give him a small meal to see if he'll eat (remove from tank if not), and then start Ich-X if his symptoms worsen or at the end of the week...whichever comes first.

I posted on the forum because after reading the coop post about the med trio it stated to medicate then wait a week and then do a 30% water change while avoid feeding during the week unless necessary, however it said if you see signs of a specific infection or disease to stop the treatment and immediately start the course of treatment for that specific infection or disease.

So right now im in the process of waiting for that week while trying to figure out if this is actually ich and if it then I would resort to changing the treatment plan.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Betsy said:

Does he have a name?  I've always wanted a red betta...but I think my husband would kick me if I got another one... 🤣

named him tabasco 🤣

also always better to ask for forgiveness then permission 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

It almost doesn't look like ich to me at all. I've treated ich before and it mostly attacks the fins and its a lot more scatterd.

Right now I wouldn't do anything excpet keep some meds handy and continue watching him. Ich is a fairly easy (well for the average aquarist) desease to treat so even if it did turn out to be ich it should be fine.

Does it have any recentley added tank mates? If so theres a better chance of it being ich.

30 minutes ago, Betsy said:

I've always wanted a red betta.

Same! I just wanna name a fish "clifford the big red fish" and I think a betta would be the PERFECT fish for that!

• Like 1

Wanted to give an update. It seems most of the white dots/specks/dust seems to have disappeared. Now I’m thinking it could of been detritus or paracleanse/maracyn powder.

im going to continue watching him for the rest of the week and let me apologize ahead of time, my photos today are not as clear as yesterday.

Also he has a dark patch of scales that I feel like he’s always had, should I be worried about anything?

4DA1BFD0-27CB-485F-A911-B174EBDA6E2F.jpeg

85B7D614-2C11-4F12-902B-9C371FE41A01.jpeg

B4974035-A460-4F45-BDF6-4A2DB6569E0A.jpeg

Tabasco looks like he feels better!!  Please continue to post updates! 😊👍

The black scales seem normal to me!  I look forward to seeing him unclamp those fins fully!  He is a looker!!! 😍