Stocking a 120 gallon

FoughtWand

Hey guys first I apologize for the low quality picture but I could not find a better one right now.  I know this is a generic question but what center piece fish could I put in my 120 gallon. Right now it has 20-30 bronze cories that are reproducing, 9 different kinds of rainbows all around 4 inches +, a rhino pleco, and a pearl gurami that is gonna be moved to a 55 soon. I used to have an 16 year old kissing gourami that lived with everything from neon tetras to angelfish but he passed away a few months ago and I was thinking of maybe getting 2-3 more but I've heard that they can get mean. Any other ideas would be appreciated. I have also thought about blue acara but they may eat the cories or even 3-5 angel fish but idk how many I could add and I definitely don't have space if they start breeding and fighting for space.

IMG_3409.jpg

Edited by FoughtWand

2 hours ago, FoughtWand said:

Hey guys first I apologize for the low quality picture but I could not find a better one right now.  I know this is a generic question but what center piece fish could I put in my 120 gallon. Right now it has 20-30 bronze cories that are reproducing, 9 different kinds of rainbows all around 4 inches +, a rhino pleco, and a pearl gurami that is gonna be moved to a 55 soon. I used to have an 16 year old kissing gourami that lived with everything from neon tetras to angelfish but he passed away a few months ago and I was thinking of maybe getting 2-3 more but I've heard that they can get mean. Any other ideas would be appreciated. I have also thought about blue acara but they may eat the cories or even 3-5 angel fish but idk how many I could add and I definitely don't have space if they start breeding and fighting for space.

IMG_3409.jpg

We keep Electric Blue Acaras in a community setting with no problems. They’re pretty “chill.” They might pick off young Corys though...

Normally, I’d think your mature male Bosemanis _are_ centerpiece fish.

Personally, it would depend on your water source. If soft water, I’d go full-on Amazon. Discus, Angels, Tetras, Corys, Plecos. If hard water, I’d keep things Asian / Oceana and keep Rainbowfish, Rasboras, etc.

• Like 1

If you go with angels i would get at most 2 or at lest 10 - with 3 to 5 you are likely to run into problems if a bounded pair forms which is fairly likely unless you get explicitly 3 to 5 of a single sex. Angels tend to form tight m:f bounds and the others are made a bit unwelcome. This is my tank. I had 11 angels but got rid of 2 unbounded males who were causing problems (trying to take mates from other males):

--

To be honest i think you have a large selection of fishes  - one thing that is kind of nice about angels is they pretty much stay put and you don't have to worry about top/bottom level dwellers. 

-

An alternative approach would be to try a few dwarf cichlid. There are 100's of species to choose from ranging from 2ish inches to 4 or 5 inches. Some spunky some colourful some a bit of both.

1.jpg

• Like 1