Breeding Pseudomoguil Luminatus (Red Neon Blue Eyed Rainbowfish)

Ariel S

Hello-

I am looking for tips on breeding the red neon blue eyed rainbowfish (pseudomoguil Luminatus). I was lucky and was able to catch Cory on a stream and got some guidance on breeding these fish, but I still have a couple questions. I’m a breeding newbie!  

I have a spawning mop to catch eggs and have a plan for where to keep the fry once they hatch, but does anyone know what’s best to do with the eggs until they hatch? Do they need to be tumbled, in for example the egg tumbler Aquarium coop sells? Or are they fine to just sit in a tray with no water movement? or should they be in a small aquarium with an airstone? Do I need to add methylene blue? Any ideas on how much of so? 

do I need to do water changes for whatever I’m keeping the eggs in?? 

thank you everyone! 

I would recommend to put in an indian almond leaf. That will help with any fungus on the eggs. Also, try to take out any fungused eggs. You could try putting in an airstone but I don't think it's necessary, as long as you are keeping the water clean with small water changes, the eggs should be fine. 

• Thanks 1

Well, I purchased the Ziss breeder box, I figured I would put the eggs in there when I get them from my spawning mop. Then let them hatch out in there. Then move maybe move  them to this 2.5 gallon tank I have with a tiny sponge filter for easy water changes. 

For food- I was planning to use the Hikari first bites, baby brine, frozen cyclops, repashy (not “cooked”) and maybe some super crushed flake food. 

this is what I do for my endler fry. But I’ve never dealt with eggs. 

do you think that’s an okay idea? 

Edited by Ariel S
  • Like 1

You should find success with your method. I’ve never spawned any of the blue eyes /pseudo’s. But other rainbows I know grow super slow, almost at a unbelievably slow rate. So don’t get worried when you experience that. The ziss breeder box will work. And most rainbows spawn with in the first hour you turn the light on. So you can watch for the behavior. 

• Thanks 1

Awesome! I didn’t know the thing about the 1st hour, but I was wondering that! I have a group of 15 rainbows- different ages but all less than a year old for sure, do you know how old they need to be before they start spawning. 
most don’t have much color yet, just kinda light light light orange and yellow. 

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Anyone with blue eye breeding experience know what kind of tank/box is ideal to put the fry in? I’ve got a couple 5 gallon Java moss tubs that I thought could work, or an empty 5 gallon tank (scaped), or a couple mesh breeder boxes and a smaller plastic one. Are any of these suitable? I’m having a go with my pseudomugil mellis; honey blue eyes.

On 11/5/2022 at 4:32 PM, Crabby said:

Anyone with blue eye breeding experience know what kind of tank/box is ideal to put the fry in? I’ve got a couple 5 gallon Java moss tubs that I thought could work, or an empty 5 gallon tank (scaped), or a couple mesh breeder boxes and a smaller plastic one. Are any of these suitable? I’m having a go with my pseudomugil mellis; honey blue eyes.

I am by no means an expert but I have been working on my p. Furcata for awhile with a little success. I have been putting the eggs in a tank with neo shrimp to nanny them. Recently tho I started putting them in a fluval hang on breeder box so I can watch them more closely. The hardest part isn't hatching them tho it's feeding them. I haven't had a fry survive yet but I literally just had one hatch today and I'm trying a new food. Sera micro. If it works hopefully I can remember to let you know.