Does this corydras look normal to you?

yassy

I am currently drip acclimating cory to the designated tank (since Nitrate level between this 75 gallon tank with quarantine tank got is different while rest of it is same) but, I see white pimple like things under their eyes. Is this normal?

2 out of 5 were flashing during meal time,and I myself were thinking only after they stopped flashing during meal time, I add them to the tank but it has been almost a month and a few days and no change.

I asked the seller about this and seller urged me and told me if they got into designated tank that are more stable water condition, they would probably stop flashing.I was hesitant for a long time but  since no change, and if I did not try, I would not know the result and , it is risky but decided to try but should I wait more after looking these pimple like things if not normal.. I am torn.

Flashing occurred only during meal time and it is not like 24/7 flashing. Only 2 out of 5 do that.

I did try more water change and also tried paraguard with stability but no improvement.If anyone start flipping, they flips about up to 10 flips and then go back to normal zoomie to eat the food.Quarantine tank was/is bare bottom.

Thank you.

20210412_161642.jpg

6 minutes ago, yassy said:
I am currently drip acclimating cory to the designated tank (since Nitrate level between this 75 gallon tank with quarantine tank got is different while rest of it is same) but, I see white pimple like things under their eyes. Is this normal?

2 out of 5 were flashing during meal time,and I myself were thinking only after they stopped flashing during meal time, I add them to the tank but it has been almost a month and a few days and no change.

I asked the seller about this and seller urged me and told me if they got into designated tank that are more stable water condition, they would probably stop flashing.I was hesitant for a long time but  since no change, and if I did not try, I would not know the result and , it is risky but decided to try but should I wait more after looking these pimple like things if not normal.. I am torn.

Flashing occurred only during meal time and it is not like 24/7 flashing. Only 2 out of 5 do that.

I did try more water change and also tried paraguard with stability but no improvement.If anyone start flipping, they flips about up to 10 flips and then go back to normal zoomie to eat the food.Quarantine tank was/is bare bottom.

Thank you.

20210412_161642.jpg

Those white "pimples" are normal on all Corydoras. I assume it is some sort of sensory organ, particularly an organ used for smell.

With the flashing, my cories have been flashing every now and then for several months now, similar to how you are noticing in yours. Something seems to be irritating them, and it looks like after they satisfy their itch they go back to behaving normally. I have treated them for parasites with API General Cure, but there was no noticeable difference in their flashing. I heard it may have something to do with water quality, similar to how the seller you talked to suggested. I am currently working on combating my water quality issues, so I don't have any real advice as of yet. I will make sure to notify you once I find something that might work.

I hope this helps.

• Like 1

Thank you. I am first keeper of corydras and most pic I find online is from pic taken from the sides and was not sure if it is normal or not. If something was wrong with them, then, after releasing to big planted tank... it would take ages to catch them so I was hesitant. If the look is normal, then, worth trying to put them and see?

I have used General cure for guppy before but I did not see any noticeable changes either.

1 minute ago, yassy said:

Thank you. I am first keeper of corydras and most pic I find online is from pic taken from the sides and was not sure if it is normal or not. If something was wrong with them, then, after releasing to big planted tank... it would take ages to catch them so I was hesitant. If the look is normal, then, worth trying to put them and see?

I have used General cure for guppy before but I did not see any noticeable changes either.

Yes it would be fine to put them into the big planted aquarium. This might also be better for them because the bigger tank will have more stable water quality.

Yes, that was what I was told. But how everyone catch them in the big planted tank if you wanted to take some cory out from the tank? Even taking out from 10 gallon tank was bit of challenge..

Any tips and tricks?

Just now, yassy said:

Yes, that was what I was told. But how everyone catch them in the big planted tank if you wanted to take some cory out from the tank? Even taking out from 10 gallon tank was bit of challenge..

Any tips and tricks?

Back when I caught cories from my 10 gallon tank to transfer them to my 29, I lowered the water level and it was easy to corner them into a large net. The ones that liked to hide in logs were easiest to catch, as you just put the net in front of the log and they'll swim in sooner or later. In a large tank, I would say put some food out (lowering the water level also helps), stick the net into the tank, and wait till a cory passes by, and then trap it with the net.

• Like 1

Good idea.Thank you.My husband tried to catch for me but he could catch only 1 and he was surprised how fast they can swim,lol. So, now I got 5 cory but group needs to be 6 and more for them? Do I need to get more cory for them to swim together? I was not sure 5 and 6 makes much difference to them but then, I am new keeper so... What is your take?

I read a loot they need to be group of 6 or more but lost one from 6 so..now I got only 5.

19 minutes ago, yassy said:

Good idea.Thank you.My husband tried to catch for me but he could catch only 1 and he was surprised how fast they can swim,lol. So, now I got 5 cory but group needs to be 6 and more for them? Do I need to get more cory for them to swim together? I was not sure 5 and 6 makes much difference to them but then, I am new keeper so... What is your take?

I read a loot they need to be group of 6 or more but lost one from 6 so..now I got only 5.

You don't need a group of six. My cories only school together when they are playing or stressed, though they occasionally will exibit random schooling behavior when just swimming around the tank. Pygmy cories I found are much tighter schooling fish, and often will not come out of hiding only when swimming in groups.

Here are a couple of my videos showcasing their shoaling and playing behavior:

I would say only in very large groups to cories truly act as a school (this next one is not my videos, but just an example.

You can see a drastic change in behavior between my videos and the third video. So if you wanted good schooling action, you would need at least 10 cories. Anyways, I hope this helps.

Edited by CorydorasEthan
  • Like 1

api test kit tests for NH 3 and  NH 4 NH 3 is toxic or free ammonia and NH 4 is ammonium which is a non toxic salt that is ionised form of ammonia your test kit reads total ammonia you only need to worry toxic ammonia you can get test kits that test just for NH 3 on Amazon