Steps to take when upgrading a 5 gallon to a 10 gallon?

stowcenter93

Title says it all. Kicker is, the 10 gallon is going in the same spot as the 5. Currently the tank houses just a betta and some Nerites. Plants are just anubius, Crypt Flamingo, Val, and a dwarf lily.

I'm buying a new stand for the tank. The current one is only slightly bigger than the tank and the space I'm working with is only about 2 inches longer than a standard 10 gallon.

I would capture the betta by tricking him into thinking your finger is food and then swoop him up right away. I would then drain the tank, remove the snails and put them in with the betta as well as the filter media and perhaps any plants. Start distructing the tank and start setting up the new one. You may wanna put a airstone in the bucket for the snails. The betta and snails will be fine in the bucket for a few days. 

Good luck with the move!

When I went from 5g to 15g I was able to slide the 5g around on my table while full.  I did drain it about half way to carry upstairs though.  I think a 5g is light enough and strong enough that you can just man-handle it and it'll be okay. 

22 minutes ago, JamesB said:

I've really been digging the harlequin rasboras as of lately. I would do some of those with the betta.

Was exactly where I was leaning! I think I've narrowed it down to Garlequin/exclamation point rasbora, Green Neon tetra, or chili Rasbora.

MAYBE lampeye killifish, need to do more research 

• Like 1

I used a 1 gallon glass jar and lid to move my 16" pleco to his new home.  It wasn't difficult to get into the clear jar, and there was no stress or damage to either of us from netting.   After you remove the substrate and plants etc... to the new tank, you are dealing with less than 4 gallons of water.  Both aquariums should be easy to move like @CT_ said.  Your Betta should be fine for the amount of time to complete the transfer.