Goldfish feeding question.

Lifeisgood

We all know that goldfish like to graze all day (kinda like me). 🥴

What do you all do to keep them eating healthy?  I can’t produce duckweed fast enough for my three, but I do give them some.   So what I have been doing is buying frozen loose leaf spinach.  And I blanch it with boiling water and give that to them almost everyday.  Besides the greens, I also alternate giving them a good pellet or krill flakes or frozen brine shrimp or blood worms.  But I heard somewhere that they benefit from eating orange pulp.  What do you think of that?

Is there a problem with feeding them as much spinach as I do?

• Like 3

I feed mine rapashy super gold bug bites goldfish flakes blood worms bine shrimp duck weed peas and spinach large part of goldfish diet should be plant base so I don't think you have any problems am not sure about feeding orange pulp

• Thanks 1

Did this thread inspire the latest blog article by Irene? I have to say, I do enjoy getting Aquarium Co-Op’s weekly email. I don’t have goldfish, but I still clicked to read the article. It had good information in it. I’d link to it, but I have run out of oomph for the day. 

I give my snails blanched kale and lettuce from my garden, mostly to keep them from chomping the plants. 

Frozen spinach is already cooked, so you could skip that step, perhaps. Irene’s article mentioned canned green beans too. 

• Like 1

Just now, GardenStateGoldfish said:

A variety is always best! Sounds like your giving them a pretty good diet, but mixing new treats in is always good, I really like making steamed egg with different ingredients inside it... I guess its my home made version of rapashy type food haha. 

You mean like a poached egg?  Or do you beat the egg and then steam it?

I asked the same question some time ago. Here are some non-fishfood fish food for goldfish:

-garlic (chopped fine)
-broccoli (steamed as I would eat)
-grape (chopped fine)
-red lettuce (no need to blanche)
-frozen peas (no shell)

I also feed mine some dried grammarus stuff for turtles.

• Thanks 1