Hi everyone.  I have been in the hobby for about twenty years on and off but had to take a five year break because my job had constant travel.  I recently changed careers and have started to build my tank collection again.   Right now I have 55 g mbuna tank that is going great with tons of fry.  My issue is the 29 gallon planted tank.  It just has 3 guppies but I put in 6 anano shrimp and they all died. The other thing is that the sponge filter is getting this odd white flaky film.  I can wipe it off and it goes all over the tank.  I do have hard water but it’s only showing this in one tank. Any idea? Please help. 

• Like 1

Where did you get the Alamo shrimp from. Some places like petco will label anything that looks kind of see through Alamo shrimp. I also find that they are really sensetive to changes in water conditions. Where is the white stuff on the filter? Airline tubung or the sponge?

It was from big Als so possible but even if they were the wrong kind of shrimp weird they all died.   The stuff is on the airline tubing and as I think about it it is some amazon airline tubing that perhaps was not intended for pet use as it was for my hydroponic indoor garden. My water comes from the city 8.0 ph and 200 gh.  Water temp is 78.   Since I just cleaned it I can’t get new pics but this is what I have. 

4D450679-1262-4315-8235-1912F6E550EE.jpeg

5157A8B2-7E98-4D95-9207-BBA1CFC09DC9.jpeg

0A904E6A-75FE-406B-9B61-653D96A9A6F3.jpeg

I heard Cory I beleive say once  that shrimp need micro bacteria that may not exist in a new tank but although it was mostly empty I did cycle it for a month.  I have done the regular water tests and nitrates are at twenty no ammonia or nitrite.  I have a phosphate tester haven’t done it yet.  Dosing with ez green