Different neons

Krakens_tanks

Question I'm at the local fish store and I'm debating whether or not what to buy they have a few black neons which are what I wanted a few Cardinals and a few neons would they all school together that way I can get a full school instead of just two or three a piece due to limited supply

1 minute ago, Krakens_tanks said:

Question I'm at the local fish store and I'm debating whether or not what to buy they have a few black neons which are what I wanted a few Cardinals and a few neons would they all school together that way I can get a full school instead of just two or three a piece due to limited supply

The black neons are of the genus Hyphessobrycon, whereas the cardinals and the neons are from the genus Paracheirodon. This means the cardinals and the neons are more likely to school together (also they are of similar colors), but the black neons will likely not. However, you could pick up all of these fish and just build up their schools later on as the fish store gets some more in. Hope this helps.

2 minutes ago, CorydorasEthan said:

The black neons are of the genus Hyphessobrycon, whereas the cardinals and the neons are from the genus Paracheirodon. This means the cardinals and the neons are more likely to school together (also they are of similar colors), but the black neons will likely not. However, you could pick up all of these fish and just build up their schools later on as the fish store gets some more in. Hope this helps.

I just worry that not getting enough of either or will stress the fish as they need large numbers to feel safe.

5 minutes ago, Krakens_tanks said:

I just worry that not getting enough of either or will stress the fish as they need large numbers to feel safe.

No it will not have an effect on them since they already aren't in large schools at the LFS. They will not get stressed or anything, especially if you plan on building their schools up later on. I would buy as many as they have at the LFS if you are worried about it. How big is your tank and are you planning on getting anymore once you get these? Any pictures of the tank?

Edited by CorydorasEthan

Just now, CorydorasEthan said:

No it will not have an effect on them since they already aren't in large schools at the LFS. They will not get stressed or anything, especially if you plan on building their schools up later on. How big is your tank and are you planning on getting anymore once you get these? Any pictures of the tank?

so my tank is a 40 breeder My original plan was to get 30 black neon tetras but the local fish store doesn't have enough and they probably won't have another order them for a month and unfortunately I'm an impatient fish keeper That's the worst quality I have

PXL_20210326_150007435.jpg

2 minutes ago, Krakens_tanks said:

so my tank is a 40 breeder My original plan was to get 30 black neon tetras but the local fish store doesn't have enough and they probably won't have another order them for a month and unfortunately I'm an impatient fish keeper That's the worst quality I have

PXL_20210326_150007435.jpg

Yeah then if you only wanted the black neons, just get the black neons and build the school up over time, but if you like the cardinals and neons too go ahead and get them as well. This would also make the waiting for fish somewhat easier, as you will have a few more fish to enjoy. What other fish are you planning on for the aquarium?

2 minutes ago, Krakens_tanks said:

Other then the black neons I was looking into getting a nice dwarf cichlid for a center piece like a nice ram or apisto

Okay yeah then the neons and cardinals would work. I would say just get the ones you want, and then build up their schools over time. Good luck!

• Like 1