What the heck are my gourami doing?

mgudyka

To clear up, we were unsure if the first fish was a male without a solid profile pic. But we were positive the aggressor was a male. I suppose it all makes sense now he was just getting frisky. You can always give them a piece of styrofoam or a fake plastic leaf with a suction cup (I think they are called betta hammocks?) to protect their bubble nest and give them more structure to adhere to.

• Like 2

@JamesB @FishMonger thanks for the shout-out! 😊

33 minutes ago, JamesB said:

He could also probably help the identifying of which is which.

I am actually a she! How hilarious that this gourami and I end up clarifying our gender in the same thread. 😂 Surprise!!

@mgudyka I don’t have any reactions left today but congratulations on the mating pair!! And congrats on getting to keep your other tank for pea puffers!

You’ll be able to tell within 48 hours if there are any fertile eggs (maybe even sooner if you keep a close eye). When they hatch they will be REALLY small so they may just appear as black specks among the bubbles. Look under the nest and you’ll see what looks like tiny black hairs. Those are the babies!

And yep, the female will be the rounder one, and the male will be a bit more colorful. As they get older the differences should become clearer, too.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Daniel said:

What are mommy and daddy doing!

Don't worry Bobby, mommy and daddy are just 'fighting'.

That's funny. I named my fish bobby/bobbi and billy/billi (because I didn't know if they were boys or girls or one of each

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Hobbit said:

@JamesB @FishMonger thanks for the shout-out! 😊

I am actually a she! How hilarious that this gourami and I end up clarifying our gender in the same thread. 😂 Surprise!!

@mgudyka I don’t have any reactions left today but congratulations on the mating pair!! And congrats on getting to keep your other tank for pea puffers!

You’ll be able to tell within 48 hours if there are any fertile eggs (maybe even sooner if you keep a close eye). When they hatch they will be REALLY small so they may just appear as black specks among the bubbles. Look under the nest and you’ll see what looks like tiny black hairs. Those are the babies!

And yep, the female will be the rounder one, and the male will be a bit more colorful. As they get older the differences should become clearer, too.

Sounds like I will need to get a breeding box, a magnifying glass, and fry food. Damn I just placed an order at aquarium co-op yesterday. Guess I have to place another 😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Biotope Biologist said:

To clear up, we were unsure if the first fish was a male without a solid profile pic. But we were positive the aggressor was a male. I suppose it all makes sense now he was just getting frisky. You can always give them a piece of styrofoam or a fake plastic leaf with a suction cup (I think they are called betta hammocks?) to protect their bubble nest and give them more structure to adhere to.

I was ready to bet my life they were both males but hey good thing I didn't do that. I am learning so much from this forum

3 hours ago, mgudyka said:

Sounds like I will need to get a breeding box, a magnifying glass, and fry food.

One tip—my honey fry won’t eat prepared food until I force them to wean at 8-9 weeks of age. The young fry especially will not eat anything that doesn’t move—plus for the first three weeks or so, they’re so small they can’t eat even really fine foods. I prepare an infusoria culture to feed them early on.

https://www.wikihow.com/Make-Infusoria

For me, the culture takes about a week to mature before it’s ready to feed the fry. I think if I put a warm light on it or got it in really bright sun it would develop faster though!

Update for you all: when I got home from work, the bubble nest was gone. It appears they have called things off for now. Sure I am disappointed, but I am not sure I was ready to be a fish grandma anyway, so it's for the best.

• Like 2

Depends on what random items you have handy. I find the hardest part of raising honey fry is trying to keep the fry contained for the first two weeks without killing them. 😆 You need enough water circulation that the water in their container stays clean and warm, but the water has to circulate through really fine mesh otherwise all the babies just swim out.

Early on when you’re not feeding them yet (and they’re not pooping), you can probably get away with putting them in a cup suspended part way in the tank so it stays warm.

I actually raised my first batch in a homemade fry box—I superglued mesh over the holes of a strawberry container and used suction cups to hold it against the sides of the tank. If you don’t have fine mesh lying around, pantyhose will work.

6DA2B65F-A5DC-4319-9F85-8B098BFC0200.jpeg.7a6a69cd46a34ded31afb42bdc9ef6cd.jpeg

A commercial fry box will provide much better air circulation, but this style of box can definitely hold you over.

Edited by Hobbit

38 minutes ago, Hobbit said:

Depends on what random items you have handy. I find the hardest part of raising honey fry is trying to keep the fry contained for the first two weeks without killing them. 😆 You need enough water circulation that the water in their container stays clean and warm, but the water has to circulate through really fine mesh otherwise all the babies just swim out.

Early on when you’re not feeding them yet (and they’re not pooping), you can probably get away with putting them in a cup suspended part way in the tank so it stays warm.

I actually raised my first batch in a homemade fry box—I superglued mesh over the holes of a strawberry container and used suction cups to hold it against the sides of the tank. If you don’t have fine mesh lying around, pantyhose will work.

6DA2B65F-A5DC-4319-9F85-8B098BFC0200.jpeg.7a6a69cd46a34ded31afb42bdc9ef6cd.jpeg

A commercial fry box will provide much better air circulation, but this style of box can definitely hold you over.

Thank you so much!

• Like 1