1 hour ago, Jungle Fan said:

Yup, Vallisneria too tall and too wide for Dwarf Sagittaria.

So, funny thing, in a 10g my val stays shorter, under 10 inches, and in a 20high my dwarf sag is over 18 inches tall.

I thought it was supposed to stay shorter too. If it hadn't come from the co-op I would doubt what I had been sold. It is under the brightest lights I own, so it isn't reaching, It is in a lightly dirted tank with a sand cap. I think it is just happy.

• Like 1

@Brandy So your comment had me double check on our "Dwarf" Sagittaria Sagittaria subulata in Christel Kasselmann's book again, and lo and behold the submerse leaves can reach a length of about 24 inches (60 cm) and a width of 1/4 inch (6 mm). So much for dwarf. Another type of Sagittaria Sagittaria platyphylla can reach leaves of up to 8-10 inches (20-25 cm) in length and 1/2" (1.5 cm) - 3/4" (2 cm)  in width. I don't think I'd recommend Sagittaria for carpeting from now on. Seems like Helanthium quadricostatus would be a better choice with leaves of 2-6 inches in length.

Just goes to show that common English names applied to aquatic plant species can be very misleading. I'm sort of glad I didn't consider Sagittaria for carpeting in my 75 gallon tank now, the crypts I ended up choosing are taller than the original carpet of just Staurogyne repens I used to plant, and just slightly taller than the Helanthium quadricostatus I had also considered.

Edited by Jungle Fan
  • Like 1