Anybody keep killifish?

Kalita

There are other people who are MUCH more experienced than I am!  My LFS recently got some in, and we decided to try a pair of Gardneri Killies.  We've only had them about 2 weeks, and so far they've done very well. 

The female will eat anything.  The male is pickier and prefers live foods.  They'll both eat vibrabites, but they don't eat anything that makes it to the bottom.  They're fun to see "hunting" down the vibrabites as they sink.  That's the sum total of my experience--looking forward to hearing more from others.

• Like 1

I have kept Orange Australe and Gardneri killies before.  Be sure to keep a tight fitting lid on your tank if you do decide to keep them, they are rather adept jumpers, I started out with three pairs of the gold Australe, and lost one male and two females overnight the first night because I had left to large of a gap in the lid where the airline came through.

• Like 1

I have a group of Red chinned panchax in my 105l community tank. They mostly stay near the surface and it's fun to watch the males spar with each other. These are easy to breed. Mine spawned in the quarantine tub and a few days after I took the adults out I saw tiny fry. They grew on hikari first bites. I had so many I had to feed some to my snakeheads.

I also have a pair of Fundulopanchax sjoestedti aka blue gularis killifish. The males looks fantastic but I get the  impression that he is a complete moron. The female is fat and pink and eats everything. They're fine with large corydoras and Indian glass fish as tank mates. 

• Like 1

They are gorgeous fish! All the jumping comments have me a bit concerned though... I may have to wait and try some of the smaller species in another tank with better lid 😄 I don't want the cats to get a taste for fresh killis.

Edited by Kalita
  • Haha 1

Just now, OceanTruth said:

@Kalita Wow, that’s a gorgeous fish!

Isn't it!? Sadly, it's an annual so will only live for about a year, however, easily bred so figured why not? There's no killifish offered locally so may even make a profit from fry. 

There are so many gorgeous species! Was difficult to choose but starting with the cheapest ($10 for 30 eggs) to "test the waters" 😜

• Like 2

@Kalita Unfortunately, pretty much all of the sexy killifish are annuals. I’ve never even seen a killifish in person, except the golden wonder ones. I drool over the killifish pics I’ve seen though. Hopefully, you can figure out a good system that fits you for breeding them so you always have a small colony of them. Good luck with them!

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, OceanTruth said:

@Kalita Unfortunately, pretty much all of the sexy killifish are annuals. I’ve never even seen a killifish in person, except the golden wonder ones. I drool over the killifish pics I’ve seen though. Hopefully, you can figure out a good system that fits you for breeding them so you always have a small colony of them. Good luck with them!

Yes, that definitely seems to be the case - here for a sexy time, not a long time 😆

I have a few tanks so hopefully I can have the display tank, spawn tank and grow tank. Members of the local aquarium club seem semi interested. I could likely reach out to some mom and pop shops if I get over-burned (big if!). Where they only live a year and eggs can keep for 6 months, I'll figure out timing. Gonna be fun!

Edited by Kalita
  • Haha 1

I have 3 male golden wonder killi fish. I love them. I have had them about 8 months. Super active top dweller that are very active. The bigger they get the prettier they are. Very hardy.   Love these fish and I highly recommend them. 

• Like 1