10g & Nano Sponge Filter

SarayParay

Can I use my nano sponge filter in a 10 gallon or would I have to purchase a small sponge filter? 

I am on the fence about either getting a 5.5 gallon or 10 gallon. I have everything else. I really want the 10 gallon, but am not sure if my nano filter will be enough. It's why I might get the 5.5 gallon...

Please advise? Thank you in advance.

The answer is probably. LOL Seriously, though, what's the size of the sponge, and is fine or coarse? AC sells great sponge filters. You might compare the dimensions and type of sponge to those sold on there. They give sizes and recommendations about which size to use in what size tank.

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/collections/sponge-filters/products/aquarium-co-op-coarse-sponge-filter

4 minutes ago, Dawn T said:

The answer is probably. LOL Seriously, though, what's the size of the sponge, and is fine or coarse? AC sells great sponge filters. You might compare the dimensions and type of sponge to those sold on there. They give sizes and recommendations about which size to use in what size tank.

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/collections/sponge-filters/products/aquarium-co-op-coarse-sponge-filter

I have the AquariumCoop Nano Spong Filter. It says 5 gallons and up, but the small says 10 gallons and up. It made me wonder if the nano is not enough? 

How many and what kind of fish do you intend to put in there? If you're lightly stocking with small fish, the sponge you have will work fine in the 10g. If you're stocking with larger fish or doing a large number, you might need the bigger sponge. That's what the "overstocking" question meant.

Plants will help, but hardscape can, too. Bacteria develop on that stuff, as well as the substrate, so the filter won't be carrying the whole load. 🙂

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, b_ball34 said:

having too many fish in your tank it depends on what you are keeping and what size tank you set up.

1 minute ago, Dawn T said:

How many and what kind of fish do you intend to put in there? If you're lightly stocking with small fish, the sponge you have will work fine in the 10g. If you're stocking with larger fish or doing a large number, you might need the bigger sponge. That's what the "overstocking" question meant.

Plants will help, but hardscape can, too. Bacteria develop on that stuff, as well as the substrate, so the filter won't be carrying the whole load. 🙂

Oh! Okay, thank you for the explanations to both of you. 

It will house my male betta that I am moving from my 20 gallon community tank and some Nerite snails. I will have some sand, live plants and the nano sponge filter. 🙂 I am leaning more towards the 10 gallon because it's more space for Captain America (that is my betta's name) but if I have to get the 5.5 for the sponge filter then so be it.

Just now, Maggie said:

I have a nano sponge for my 10 gallon quarantine tank and it works fine. I use a small in my 20 gallon. 

May I ask what fish you have in your 10 gallon? Sorry, I am just nervous if the nano is too small. If it's been working fine for you then it makes me more confident to buy the 10 gallon.

Right now, none. But I recently had 12 harlequin rasboras in there for over a month, now they're in the main tank. Before that I had it in my old 5 gallon quarantine tank for 3 groups of other fish. 

Here's a pic of my rasboras in quarantine.

20210109_115248.jpg

Edited by Maggie
Photo added

2 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Right now, none. But I recently had 12 harlequin rasboras in there for over a month, now they're in the main tank. Before that I had it in my old 5 gallon quarantine tank for 3 groups of other fish. 

Okay, thank you for sharing! I think I'll just go with the 10 gallon and the nano...

1 minute ago, Dawn T said:

How many nerites? If only a couple or so, you'll be more than fine.

Most likely 1 or 2.

• Like 1

Just to echo some of these others, a betta with some nerites in a 10 gallon would be fine with the nano sponge filter.  ESPECIALLY if you are planning a planted tank. Definitely lightly stocked, so you should be good to go. 

Good luck and keep us updated.