What silly mistakes have you made?

Kat_Rigel

1. Don’t plug the heater back in after a water change.

2. Don’t plug the hang on back back in after a big water change.

3. Drain water into a market and overflow it all over the floor. 
4. pump water directly onto the floor during a water change.

5. Forget to water change until you regret it.

I think it’s super important to set yourself up for success. For me that means understocking and keeping a lot of plants. This gives me some wiggle room in case I forget to plug in my filter or heater. It makes the hobby much more forgiving! 

• Like 1

On 8/25/2020 at 3:34 PM, Dice said:

I'd be willing to bet most of us that use a Python or hose to fill our tanks have done it.  DON'T EVER WALK AWAY when filling your tank, LOL. The hose WILL fall out (I should invest in the hook Python makes) or you WILL forget how close to the top the water is. SMH, I hate to admit it, but I've done it more than once. Now I put a chair in front of the tank I'm filling and sit there until it's done.

Oh yes! The water always takes longer to fill than you'd like, and it's so tempting to step away for just a minute, and so easy to completely forget something important is happening... until the sound of overflowing water kicks in panic mode! 🙂

I recently used a little piece of string tucked into my aquarium lid to tie some floating plant tubing in place when I had no suction cups handy. I knew the string would pull water up, but I deliberately positioned it so it wouldn't drip on anything or touch my background (which is jut a piece of paper taped on the back haha). Of course I came back one day to find it positioned in the perfect place to have let water soak down one side of the paper and start to do water damage to my cheap stand. I'm just lucky it was at the back! I went back to using suction cups. Sometimes it amazes me how I'll envision a problem I could cause, think I'm avoiding it, and then end up exactly at the problem.

27 minutes ago, Aquatic Journal said:

1. Don’t plug the heater back in after a water change.

2. Don’t plug the hang on back back in after a big water change.

3. Drain water into a market and overflow it all over the floor. 
4. pump water directly onto the floor during a water change.

5. Forget to water change until you regret it.

Every. single. one. of these I have done 😉

@irene, bless our hearts, I feel you on this.  I did this just yesterday. 

A silly mistake on my end was once when I was making my fertilizing mixture for my plants I forgot to put in the nitrates.  I was like for a few weeks wondering what in the world is happening to my plants.  Why are they dieing back?  Then I looked in my cabinet and realized I did not open up my new bag of KNO3 when I made the mixture.