Ammonia in new tank

Losjohnsons

I have a 20 gallon tank, my tap water tests positive for .5ppm ammonia. (Chloramines?) my tank is planted the plants are growing and happy. I started with 6 neon tetras and one just died at week 4. I can’t get my ammonia below .25. I’m adding a treatment that binds ammonia every 1-2 days and weekly 30% water changes. I’m now in week 5. Nitrites are zero and nitrates around 30. My tap has nitrates at 20. Any suggestions on if I should be doing something different are appreciated. 
ph looks like 6.8-7.2. I have trouble matching the colors. Temp 74 degrees 

I think I'd be doing more frequent water changes, like every other day until the bio load increases enough to handle the ammonia.

Also, ammonia will still show on a test even if it's safely bound up. And that bond doesn't last forever either, I think 24-48 hours and the ammonia is released...hence my suggestion of water changes every other day.

Edit: Ignore me...I'm afraid I take the tap water in my city, it's from natural aquifers, for granted and forget that not all municipal water is the same.

Edited by Raeburn
  • Thanks 1

just doing the math here more water changes will increase the ammonia.  0.5 ammonia 20 nitrate are your drinking water I'd add lots of plants if you can and slow down the water changes until you hit 0 ammonia and then you can increase them slowly as your nitrifying bacteria builds up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It sounds like you’ve had your tank set up for about a month. That’s still early stages in terms of “seasoned tank time.” Once your plants and bacteria get more established, they’ll be able to use up/convert that ammonia and nitrate.

I agree with the others in that I would hold off on doing any water changes for now and just keep testing the water. Six (or as it were, five) neon tetras in a 20 long isn’t going to stress the bio load (unless you’re way overfeeding).

If you hold off on water changes and ammonia keeps getting worse, then we have more detective work to do.

• Thanks 1

Bear in mind that many municipal water supplies these days use chloramine instead of chlorine. Chloramine is bonded chlorine and ammonia. Water conditioners will convert the ammonia in chloramine into ammonium which is not toxic to fish, but will test as ammonia. The bio-filter will process ammonium...which may appear to be happening since you have zero nitrites, and 20-30 nitrates....unless your tank is not cycled properly and the nitrates are from your tap water. In which case, you'd need to follow the advice regarding increased water changes.

Edited by MJV Aquatics