Fancy gizmos

Casual aquatics

Be careful with how you use those.  they don't read the temperature of reflective or transparent things.  In the case of reflective they may read whats in the reflection.  They also aren't super accurate in an absolute sense but they work quite well with comparing the temperature of similar things or the same thing day to day.  Ideally point them at something black or dark colored. 

• Like 1

I couldn't believe how long I went without a python water changer. Blew my mind. Had been hauling buckets all all the place. I felt like a caveman discovering fire. 

Cheap turn dial outlet timers have been really useful as well. As for the "heat gun," I just got myself one of those as well. Love it. So far I haven't seen too much of an issue with accuracy. Some of my tanks still have thermometers leftover in them anyway that I can use as a second opinion. 

• Like 1

I have one of the thermometer guns also and I find it to be very accurate. It has a laser pointer also and the fish attack the laser pointer as I'm taking the tank's temp. It's funny to watch. (Avoid shining the laser in their eyes however to avoid damaging them.) Smart plugs are a nice gadget for an aquarium also. I use them on my aquarium lights. I also have two Wyze Cams I use on my tanks. In my living room I have their Pan Cam which lets me look around the room at the various tanks, and in my bedroom I have a stationary cam that looks right at my ten gallon tank there. The stationary one is neat as it lets me lay in bed and watch the fish in a totally dark room after the lights go out. I discovered my Super Red Bristlenose Pleco in that tank surfs the top of the tank upside down when the lights go off and grabs floating plants and pulls them underwater to see if any food is lying atop the plants. He'll pull a plant down a couple of inches give it a shake, look to see if any food falls off then go back to the top of the tank and repeats the process.  He doesn't do that at all during the day, but as soon as the light goes off, up he goes and down come the floaters. Without that camera I'd never know he did it.