2 months 50 baby guppies

Taco Playz

So I have about 18 baby guppies in a 5.5 gallon and they for some reason about 3 of the first 7 are tucking their fins. Is too months too old for a guppy to become sexually mature.I also have about 20 in my 10 gallon adult tank. My tanks are starting to get way overcrowded. I also do water changes every other week. My LFS only takes them in at about 5 months old and in 5 months I might have 100. I have a spare 3 gallon in the attic that I can use if it comes down to it. Also I have Golden Panchax Killifish that will gladly gobble them up. What should I do? 

Thanks

You're so lucky to have an lfs take guppies off your hands eventually. I've been separating males and females as soon as I am 100% positive of sex. Seems to have slowed them down tremendously. I would have had major housing problems if I had continued to let them go.

I don't know if you're breeding for profit, but the only advice I can give is get another 10 gallon if you have the room. I'm sure you'll get more helpful advice. There seems to be a good amount of guppy people on this forum. Good luck with your colony!

I have guppies that I love to cross just for fun. I have worked out a system that works for me so far. I have a tank with a few choice adults and young fry.

Once fry are big enough, I separate by sex, the females to a 10 gallon to grow up, and the males go to a community tank.

Once I find females I'm happy with for replacements, the extras go to the community tank The tank is also home to young acaras, who will happily hunt down every fry dropped. Food for acaras, grow out for mutts.

Once the  community tank gets full of guppies it's time to sell or trade for food.

The flaws in this system are that the acaras may potentially eat adult guppies one day, which doesn't concern me too much, and secondly, now the ACARAS are breeding...

• Like 1