Angelfish loving some blackworms

1 hour ago, Fish Folk said:

Whats your method for keeping black worms alive?? 

I keep them in the refrigerator, I dump them out in a fine mesh net everyday, let my cold water tap run a min or two so it gets cold, rinse the worms under a gentle trickle. Put fresh, clean, cold water back in container and cover loosely with lids and back into fridge. I use a shallow tupperware type container, and use a container that's large enough that the worms aren't all clumped together, can spread out. I have a well for my water so my water is not treated other than going through a sediment filter, and even in summer comes out of tap cold. 

I know @Danielgets blackworms regularly for his fish, we can see what he does as well. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Brandy said:

How would you do this if you were not on a well? Dechlorinate and refrigerate fresh water each day?

To be honest I don't know for sure if any chlorine will harm the worms or not. I have seen that people who live in the south whose tap water isn't cold especially in the summer will have a jug of water sitting in the fridge to use to rinse their worms. I imagine you could do something similar, but treating the water with Prime or whatever your dechlorinator of choice is. The key is making sure that the water is cold, I believe it puts them in a dormant state. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/29/2021 at 6:19 AM, Andy's Fish Den said:

To be honest I don't know for sure if any chlorine will harm the worms or not. 

@Brandy I don't know. I think I had blackworms a couple of decades ago when I was on chlorinated water and I don't remember it hurting the blackworms. But the operative words there are 'I don't know' and 'I don't remember'.

5 minutes ago, Andy's Fish Den said:

@Daniel how long does 3 pounds of blackworms last you? I got a half pound when I go them and they lasted me a couple weeks, but I wasn't feeding them heavily, just as a treat mainly, and to a couple kinds of corydoras to try to entice them to spawn.

I feed a lot of blackworms so they end up lasting about 10 - 14 days. Discus are a bottomless pit, so I might cut the discus blackworms back a bit just to save on the expense and to get the blackworms to last a little longer.

• Like 2