Guppy laying on rocks

GoldenGardner

Just now, GoldenGardner said:

Oh wow!! This is fascinating. It sounds like what is going on. 

I use a Fluval 206 filter. I don't think that is considered a chemical filtration system. Right? 

All filtration in your tank is likely biological, unless you have some kind of charcoal or specialized "ammonia removing" media (usually zeolite) that you have added at some point. New filters come with charcoal (in a little bag usually) and the cartrige type often have charcoal also. If you have any of that in your filter you will want to take it out before adding medication. It is really good at taking chemicals out of the water when it is new.

I ordered the Levamisole Powder. I am not sure when it will get here though. I changed the water with my son today, about 25%, then added the prime and fed the fish. That poor guppy just would not move though, and never came up for food. I moved it to a bowl to see if I had her in a smaller bowl and where there were no other fish, if she could get to the food and fed her in there. She either goes from laying sideways on the bottom of the bowl to almost like seizure type movements. I am not sure if I should move her back into the tank, or to keep her here. This is just a 1 quart bowl.

• Sad 1

Salt would be a good thing to try while you wait, you could also try API general cure (may be in a big box store near you) or Paraclense from ACO, they ship very fast: 

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/collections/fish-medicine/products/fritz-paracleanse

If you do order from them the med trio is just smart to have on hand at all times in my book--I am not sure how I managed before meds and test kits. Though, I guess I didn't buy and introduce as many fish then.

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/collections/fish-medicine/products/quarantine-meds-trio

To be honest, not eating is pretty far gone, you may not be able to save this one. But look on the bright side, the levamasole will be good for heading off the next death, because parasites are usually in more than one fish. It is possible parasites have been the main issue all along.

• Like 1

I took her out for good. I think she was stressing out the other fish too. One of them was just swimming near her while she lay sideways on the rocks. I figured that if it is Liverbearer disease I would need to treat the tank regardless. I was told that I shouldn't get any more fish for 2 months while my tank is cycling so if I treat the tank then by the time that it's ready for more fish it can also be treated. I do need to look into a quarantine tank if that's what I need to have for adding more fish. I don't love the idea of having another tank but it seems necessary. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, GoldenGardner said:

I don't love the idea of having another tank but it seems necessary. 

I don't know if you have a place to store anything but Petco  has fish tank sales for 1$ per gallon pretty often, from 10g, 20g high, 20g long and 29g. so you can pick one up pretty cheap if you decide to get an extra tank.  Also other competitors will usually price match, if you prefer another big box store.

Edited by Mr_Manifesto
  • Like 1

Well it's been a rough 24 hours. The first guppy died, yesterday and then the one pictured above was found dead on the rocks this morning. That circled spot seemed to be decomposing quickly. Then one of our neon tetra's got sucked into the intake. I got him released but he was in very very bad shape. 

Ugh.... 

It's officially 2 weeks since I added fish to the tank, started with 14 fish, and now have 6. 

• Sad 1

Glad you enjoyed my video! In case you haven't seen Aquarium Co-Op's livebearer disease video, sick guppies can also be a result of low mineral content if your tap water is very soft. Here's Cory's version that talks about it:

• Like 1