Pregnant or bloated?

Machete

My female Agassizii got super fat in the course of 2-3 days. I honestly don't know if she's full of eggs or sick. Can anyone help? If you think she's pregnant I can move this topic to the breeding section. Thanks!

Temp. 79⁰F

NO3 0

NO2 0

pH 6.5

KH 4

GH 6

Edited by Machete
Added water parameters

I thought I'd give an update... it turned out to be dropsy. After a couple of days she was super bloated and her tail clamped. I put her in the quarantine tank. I've been doing a treatment of salt and erythromycin. The bloating is receding and, after a couple of days, she's not hiding anymore and is out and about, eating well. I know dropsy is hard to beat, but at least she seems to be getting better.

• 2 weeks later...

So, I've been treating the apisto with salt, erythromycin for a while, and then with Kanaplex for the las few days. It's still alive, active, and eating well, but it's still swollen,  I wouldn't be able to say of it's as much as before or less, but definitely not more...

I am very confused, because when I have had sick fish in the past they have died pretty quickly and this one has been in the hosoital tank for more than 10 days and doesn't seem to be getting worse nor better... Any thoughts?

• 1 month later...

Ok, so I need some serious advice here. It's been almost 2 months since I transfered the fish to the hospital tank. She is not back to normal, but she's not worse either. If anything, she's betterbthatbshe was at her worst.

At this point, if whatever she has hasn't killed her, I'm starting to think that maybe I should put her back in the community tank so at least she is in a nice 40g planted aquarium 

The question then is... can she still be contagious to other fish? I've been using salt,  maracyn and kanaplex, so I don't know if there can be any bacteria around anymore... 

Would you put it back un the community tank? 

Looking at how bloated she is and the fact meds haven't had a significant impact she will probably not make it long the damage to he internal organs will eventually kill her one thing i can suggest is to treat with kanaplex and api furan 2 together last ditch solution

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1

Yes....Epsom is definitely different. Epsom salt acts more like a laxative and has been known to reduce swelling. I did A TON of reading, as I had a fish come down with dropsy. Most treatments specify Epsom salt specifically, due to its swelling reduction characteristics. It can be used as a 15-20 minute bath, or in the tank all the time. (I have read that if it is in there all the time, it may have an impact on GH, causing it to rise.)

I found Epsom salt to also help with swim bladder issues, in addition to helping a fish I had with a prolapse. Visually, if giving an Epsom bath, I have noticed the fish looks more relaxed.

My dropsy experience was a bit different. Short story: I put the sick fish in a hospital tank, used Epsom salt, Furan-2, and Kanaplex. The fish visually didn't improve, but didn't worsen either, and maintained his appetite throughout. I received some advice to try a med called Ciproflaxin. I ordered it, and it came the next day. Within 30 minutes of the first Ciproflaxin treatment, the fish passed, sadly. I have a feeling it was some strong stuff.

While I wish I could hit rewind on the Cipro, ultimately I looked at it as a "hail mary pass". Everything I have read says that dropsy requires aggressive action. While I suppose mine ended up being too aggressive, I came to terms with it, as I really tried to do everything I could.

Good Luck, and keep us posted.