Oto with red throat?

O13SC3N3

IMG_20210119_105508012.jpg.93d8c33636166af9b4aa8dd811367fa5.jpg

Not sure if this were I should post this. But I noticed one of my Otocinclus has a red spot underneath the mouth between the gills. The other otos don't show this. He/she is very active munching away still. Thoughts?

Oh 6.8 to 7.2 co2 during day, airstones at night.

0 Amonia, 0 Nitrite, ~10ppm nitrate (when I fertilized) gh/kh 8. Temp drops to about 74 to 74.5 in the morning. Climbs to about 76.5 in the evening on light cycle decline, over a 12-14 hour period.

This can be a sign of amonia burn. Have you ever tested the water and have the amonia VERY HIGH. 

I have an angelfish with a red gill too and its been like this for YEARS. Ever since I got him, for this reason I don't think my angelfish had a amonia burn all though its very possible. My angelfish has been fine.

So in conclussion, Its nothing to worry about. It can't kill the fish (the high levels of amonia can though, but yours are at 0 so you should be fine) Just watch it. I don't think its a wound.

Just now, James Black said:

This can be a sign of amonia burn. Have you ever tested the water and have the amonia VERY HIGH. 

I have an angelfish with a red gill too and its been like this for YEARS. Ever since I got him, for this reason I don't think my angelfish had a amonia burn all though its very possible. My angelfish has been fine.

So in conclussion, Its nothing to worry about. It can't kill the fish (the high levels of amonia can though, but yours are at 0 so you should be fine) Just watch it. I don't think its a wound.

Only time I registered Amonia recently, about .25 when u stirred up a bit of the substrate cutting stems down and spreading them out. I primed it as well.

4 minutes ago, AdamTill said:

It’s common to see otos that look like this. I’m not sure it’s a good sign (or bad one, for that matter), but it’s not a sign of imminent death either.

Ok thank you, he/she isn't as fat bellied as the other one. I'll try to keep an eye on it over the next few days. It's pretty heavily planted, but they are pretty sociable.

Edited by O13SC3N3
Spelling

3 hours ago, O13SC3N3 said:

Ok thank you, he/she isn't as fat bellied as the other one. I'll try to keep an eye on it over the next few days. It's pretty heavily planted, but they are pretty sociable.

Looks like a male, and so they won’t be nearly as heavy bodied. Just don’t want sunken in