Need help diagnosing my betta fish

Kaining

We have a Koi betta fish and is sick for some reason.

The pictures of his current condition is in the attached links.

He has a very swollen lip and holes in the fins.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/19GWQrXi7A5ssy1wYk0-BAfduDWoz2kwG/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1h8dZDO7iwpheXCYqWYNdOXq8TRA137eF/view?usp=sharing

What would you recommend us to do to save him?

We just bought Microbe-lift Artemiss-natural expellant for bacterial diseases from Petco. We were advised to add it into our 4-gallon tank and change 75% of tank water for 3 days straight.

Could someone give some advise?

Thank you!

This could be a disease, but it might be something else.  How long have you had this fish?   What are you feeding him?    Do you know any of the water parameters of the tank?   pH, Temp, ammonia, nitrites?  Might be poor water quality, might be poor food quality.  It might be the fish is being kept too cold for a betta.   Salt won't hurt either way, so I'd start with that, but if the water quality isn't good, salt isn't going to do much.

Edited by Mr_Manifesto

Is the fish still eating? How long have you had it? Has it always had a swollen lip? whats the temp. of your water? Honestly salt won't hurt but I wouldn't worry too much. It could be a bacterial infection but I'm not sure. If the fish is still eating just watch it closely.

Hi James, no the fish is not eating. Should I keep feeding him..?

I have had him for four months. He never had a mouth this swollen. The water temperature is around 79F. 

I put in the antibacterial medication and acquarium salt yesterday. Now he seems to be getting worse... There are more holes on his fin.

5 minutes ago, Kaining said:

Hi James, no the fish is not eating. Should I keep feeding him..?

I have had him for four months. He never had a mouth this swollen. The water temperature is around 79F. 

I put in the antibacterial medication and acquarium salt yesterday. Now he seems to be getting worse... There are more holes on his fin.

I would try 

-Salt Bath

-Maracyn Treatment

Do the salt bath one day. And then the next day to a salt and marcyn treatment for the next week.

Edited by James Black

4 hours ago, Mr_Manifesto said:

This could be a disease, but it might be something else.  How long have you had this fish?   What are you feeding him?    Do you know any of the water parameters of the tank?   pH, Temp, ammonia, nitrites?  Might be poor water quality, might be poor food quality.  It might be the fish is being kept too cold for a betta.   Salt won't hurt either way, so I'd start with that, but if the water quality isn't good, salt isn't going to do much.

Hi Mr_Manifesto,

I have had him for four months. The water temperature is around 79F. We always fed him FLUVIAL bug bites. But 3-4 days ago we tried feeding him frozen blood worms. He ate three blood worms on the first day. Seemed to like it. We stopped the FLUVIAL bug bites after he started eating the frozen worms. I am testing the water parameters now.

Thank you for your reply!

6 hours ago, Mr_Manifesto said:

The water is pH6 but we only have basic pH test paper. Maybe we should go get a water parameter test kit.

Temp look good, pH is a bit low, but shouldn't be causing these issues.   Add a little bit of crushed coral to the tank would help buffer this a bit higher.   The food you're feeding is good stuff.  My experience is bettas will overeat and cause themselves issues.   Does his belly look swollen, like he ate too much?   Bettas are susceptible to intestinal blockages if they tend to overeat.  Unless there is some ammonia or nitrite issue, I'd say the tank parameters are fine.  Hopefully the salt and meds do the trick.  

On 1/19/2021 at 2:57 AM, Mr_Manifesto said:

Temp look good, pH is a bit low, but shouldn't be causing these issues.   Add a little bit of crushed coral to the tank would help buffer this a bit higher.   The food you're feeding is good stuff.  My experience is bettas will overeat and cause themselves issues.   Does his belly look swollen, like he ate too much?   Bettas are susceptible to intestinal blockages if they tend to overeat.  Unless there is some ammonia or nitrite issue, I'd say the tank parameters are fine.  Hopefully the salt and meds do the trick.  

Thank you for confirming that the food and tank parameters. I did not know they tend to overeat the good stuff:)) Will pay attention to that in the future!

Sadly our fish left us last night...

• Sad 1