Rummynose Tetra not surviving

ChrissyV

I have now bought 2 schools of rummynose from 2 different suppliers. 20 each time. Some DOA and the rest dying off shortly thereafter. Has anyone else had this problem?  Are they too fragile to ship?  Are the genetics too inbred/bad breeding stock?  Or do I just have bad luck?  What’s the deal? I love them, but they aren’t surviving. Thanks!

So, they are dying in quarantine. Treated with GC, ER, and IckX. My quarantine tank was set up with media from a well established tank. This time, they are in quarantine with neons, plays, and one bristlenose. All other species are doing fine. It’s only the rummynose dying off. 

pH of our well water is 7.4-7.6. Nitrite, nitrate, and ammonia are fine. Soft water with moderate alkalinity. Maybe they don’t like soft water. I’m going to look it up. 

Edited by ChrissyV

I had a very similar experience with Rummy Nose.  I bought two schools - around 15 each time - and lost all of them in quarantine.  This was from two different LFSs.  My third try, I just threw them into the display tank without quarantining and kept an extra close watch on the tank.  That was about 3 months ago and I haven't had any problems.  I know it isn't the best approach, but I felt the need to try something different. 

Rummynose tetra like soft acidic water. I don't think your water conditions are the problem. are you treating with all 3meds at once most rummynose are wild caught and in poor condition when they get to LFS  3meds at once might to much for them in a weakened state 

Edited by Colu