Breeding Tank

Paul

1 hour ago, Paul said:

What size tank would you put them in 20L, 20H or a 29. Thanks.

Well . . . no word of experience here . . . so, this is just based on a few tips from different breeders we've watched. A 29 gal. will provide greater volume for fry to grow out in, but more volume to change out in order to keep water quality up for adults. Still, it's probably a better tank. Wrap 3x of the 4x sides in sky blue paper, and never fill the water above the black rim. Fry need the parents to be the darkest visual object in order to be drawn to them for eating off the adult slime coat. A breeding cone will probably provide more suitable area for the parents to spawn on. Soft, soft water with nothing to trouble the slime coat is essential for parents. Temperature up . . . 87 . . . 89 . . . even 90 can be Ok. Nothing to spook them in the fishroom. But Paul, you probably know all of this stuff! (or could correct anything wrong I've stated here) 

BEST OF LUCK TO YOU!!!!! Would be so happy for you to get a healthy batch of fry going. Keep us nerms updated.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Fish Folk said:

Well . . . no word of experience here . . . so, this is just based on a few tips from different breeders we've watched. A 29 gal. will provide greater volume for fry to grow out in, but more volume to change out in order to keep water quality up for adults. Still, it's probably a better tank. Wrap 3x of the 4x sides in sky blue paper, and never fill the water above the black rim. Fry need the parents to be the darkest visual object in order to be drawn to them for eating off the adult slime coat. A breeding cone will probably provide more suitable area for the parents to spawn on. Soft, soft water with nothing to trouble the slime coat is essential for parents. Temperature up . . . 87 . . . 89 . . . even 90 can be Ok. Nothing to spook them in the fishroom. But Paul, you probably know all of this stuff! (or could correct anything wrong I've stated here) 

BEST OF LUCK TO YOU!!!!! Would be so happy for you to get a healthy batch of fry going. Keep us nerms updated.

I wasn't going to pull these two out of the display tank since it's planted which makes it  a pain in the butt to catch anything but they keep spawning. It's a good thing that PETCO has the $1 a gallon going on again. You've got your info down. 

• Like 1

When I bred discus years ago, I kept my pairs in 20 gallon high tanks with sponge filters. Keep up on water changes, plenty of rooms for the fry, I would pull the fry and put into a grow out tank after they had been feeding on the parents slime coat for a couple weeks. Anything longer than that I found that the fry would get a little aggressive with feeding and could actually cause damage to the parents scales and sides of their bodies.

• Like 1

From what I've seen most professional breeders use a 20 high with a sponge filter. Their tanks are typically bare with either a breeding cone or a piece of slate as a breeding surface. The smaller tank makes it easier for the fry to stay near the parents. The flow rate on the sponge filter should be pretty slow too. You don't want a boiling mass of bubbles coming out. I've seen too many cases of fry getting behind a Matten filter for me to recommend them in most breeding setups. There's typically a gap somewhere that the fry find or they swim down the airlift tube into the area behind the Matten filter. Unless you have a foolproof way of sealing the edges and bottom of a Matten filter and use a fine mesh to cover the airlift tube you're apt to lose fry behind a Matten filter in a breeding setup.