Heater controller

Shadow_Arbor

I use a heater controller but not that brand. I think its worth the cost for safety and ease of use. They can require a bit of calibration to see where it actually holds the temperature. The one I have has replaceable temp probes which is nice.

I like using it to control two smaller heaters in the tank instead of a single large one. Reason being if one heater fails in the ON position it will heat up the tank slower but also the controller would shut it off too. I wonder if @Cory has ever considered bring a heater controller to the market?

• Like 1

I actually just got one for my brine shrimp hatchery, different brand. I keep my house cold so it takes too long to hatch at room temp, and the heaters I have tend to fluctuate the temp too much in that small volume of water. 

I like it so much that I am tempted to get 7 more for my tanks, just for the safety benefit. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MickS77 said:

I use a heater controller but not that brand. I think its worth the cost for safety and ease of use. They can require a bit of calibration to see where it actually holds the temperature. The one I have has replaceable temp probes which is nice.

I like using it to control two smaller heaters in the tank instead of a single large one. Reason being if one heater fails in the ON position it will heat up the tank slower but also the controller would shut it off too. I wonder if @Cory has ever considered bring a heater controller to the market?

If @Cory brings one to the market I'll have to get a friend from the states to ship me one!

I live in a relatively hot climate. During Winter, temperature rarely drops below freezing. In rare cases that it does it's only really late at night and by a degree or two. My house is heated in the winter anyway so I under size heaters. That way it takes them longer to heat my tank period. In theory this will also extend their life as they have less on off cycles.

57 minutes ago, Shadow_Arbor said:

In theory this will also extend their life as they have less on off cycles.

I definitely agree with that. It's the constant on/off cycle that kills heaters. I have titanium heaters on my controller, I'm hoping they last a long time.