JaredL

Is anybody familiar with this method of denitrification?

I recently discovered a YouTube channel where the creator is all about it, using slow flow undergravel filters or "BCB Baskets" in a canister filter to create anoxic bacteria. I found the subject interesting and curious if anybody here could share some first hand knowledge or insights. 

Thanks!

@Daniel Thanks for the reply! My interpretation was that it converts nitrates back into ammonia. I believe the idea is that the aerobic bacteria and anoxic bacteria create a cycle of ammonia to nitrates and nitrates to ammonia. Though to me it seems you would end up with a balance between the two rather than an overall removal of either. Unless the idea is that the plants will absorb the ammonia more readily than the nitrates(as I've heard, but not sure if it's true).

Edited by JaredL

11 minutes ago, JaredL said:

Unless the idea is that the plants will absorb the ammonia more readily than the nitrates(as I've heard, but not sure if it's true).

Yes, that that is what I have heard also that plants metabolize the ammonia more readily, but in the absence of ammonia, plants use nitrates.

The biohome material claims to be able to do this, but I’ve never seen anyone prove that it works in small scale. Most hobby size aquariums have too much flow and oxygenation.

Lots of people make claims, but it always seems like mentally justifying the substantial price increase. Very little objective data.

The pond baskets make more sense, but even there it’s arguable that plants are doing most of the heavy lifting

In theory, if you create a proper anaerobic region with the right bacteria, the bacteria will convert nitrates into oxygen and nitrogen gas that emerges in the form of gas bubbles. That's the theory behind products like "Miracle Mud" and the large ceramic bio bricks/blocks. Does it work? I don't know. I've used the Seachem Matrix which claims to do the same, but never really saw a difference. 

On 1/10/2021 at 12:19 PM, JaredL said:

My interpretation was that it converts nitrates back into ammonia. I believe the idea is that the aerobic bacteria and anoxic bacteria create a cycle of ammonia to nitrates and nitrates to ammonia.

Anoxic is not a bacteria, but a condition or environment. Anoxic filter is an environment that’s supports anaerobic bacteria. But is not completely an anaerobic environment, only low levels of oxygen. 
The common aquarium filter setups take ammonia to nitrite to nitrate. Setups that support anaerobic or anoxic conditions as well are supposed to convert nitrates into nitrogen and oxygen. Which then out gasses from the aquarium or gets used by plants. 

On 1/10/2021 at 1:17 PM, AdamTill said:

The biohome material claims to be able to do this, but I’ve never seen anyone prove that it works in small scale. Most hobby size aquariums have too much flow and oxygenation.

Yeah, I couldn’t find any reliable/consistent regarding biohome. So I bought some to test out. Hoping it will work, but will be awhile before the results will reflect if it works or not. I did find some post stating that the dechlorinators that detoxify ammonia, nitrite, nitrate can cause issues with anaerobic bacteria. But again, hard knowing how reliable that information is. 

19 hours ago, ChefConfit said:

Isn't this also how deep sand beds work? If you have substrate deep enough an anaerobic layer will form that can support bacteria that consumes nitrates. 

Yes. 

• Like 1