Acclimate fish and shrimp shipped

Doug_E

I am considering buying my next batch of Amano shrimp and some CPDs from Aqua Huna. I saw that the acclimation process he outlines is different than what others say and do. He specializes in shipping fish and must have reasons for his process, but it does seem like it might not be ideal. My notes in brackets [like this]. 

AQUAHUNA.COM

Acclimation Proclamation FACT:  Fish are 99% water.             Water has an enormous effect (good or bad) on all fish.  FACT: Fish are quite resilient. They can tolerate gradual changes, and can adapt to a variety of living...

#1- Float all new arrivals in your tanks for up to 15 minutes. This helps the water in the sealed bags slowly equalize in temperature (become the same as) the surrounding aquarium water. [others say NOT to float these gas permeable bags]

#2- After 15 minutes, make a cut in the bag just below the clip. Be careful not to cut off the “tail” (the portion of the bag above and including the clip), you will need that later. Open the “new Hole” you have created with your fingers and dip the bag down into the tank, thereby adding an inch or two of aquarium water in the bag. Use the tail of the bag to anchor it at the surface of the tank by closing the lid of the tank on it. [Others say this will cause toxic ammonia levels. The ammonia in the bag is high, but the pH is very low which reduces toxicity. When you add new water the pH goes up and that ammonia now becomes far more toxic.]

#3- Wait 15 minutes- repeat step #2 (adding tank water to the bag) at least twice, more if time allows. By mixing “tank water” into the “bag water” you help your fish acclimate (adjust) to their new environment. [This might make the toxicity worse and exposure time higher]

#4- Finally, pour the fish with the water from the bags into the tank. Make sure the water from the bag is poured directly into the tank, even if the water is discolored. The fish NEED this water in order for them to adjust to their new home. [I'm not sure how 500mL of water in a tank of any size will make that much of a difference. Not to mention how so many say not to pour the new water into the tank...especially with so much ammonia.]

If there's a warranty beyond DOA then I would be inclined to acclimate the way the seller suggests otherwise be prepared to claim you did even if you didn't.

1) Are these gas permeable bags? If they are then CO2 shouldn't build up since most materials are far more permeable to CO2 than oxygen.

2-3) How much does pH increase when you add a little tank water to it? You're also diluting the bag water. There's probably a way to calculate this if you make assumptions about ammonia, CO2, pH, and alkalinity levels but it sounds like it would be tedious.

4) This really doesn't make sense since the water in the bag plus whatever tank water you've added can't be that much. Even if ammonia was high in the bag it would also be significantly diluted.

To say there's a diversity of opinion on how best to acclimate fish is an understatement. If you're buying fish online or in a store, ask their preferred method. Some will void any warranty if you use a different method than they recommend. Document how you did it also so if any question arises later you can prove how you did it. A video or photographs are wise during the process to prove you followed their recommendations. I've been successful with the plop and drop method as long as the fish are at the same temp.  If the temps are different and the fish are in breather bags I'd recommend hanging the bag in the tank so only a third to a half of the bag is in the water so air exchange can still take place. If you don't let a breather bag breathe you run the risk of suffocating your new fish. The temps will still equalize and the fish and bag can still breathe if you just dip part of it into the tank. Your best bet is to just do what those sending you the fish recommend and document what you did.

i dont think their bags are gas permeable. they use standard plastic fish bag as far as i cant tell, and they double them. ive used their method for acclimating, and it works, and ive petty much done the plop and drop too, and it works. my main consideration is the temp. if the bag temp is close to the tank, ill float few a few minutes and dump them in, if it is off, float them for 15-30 min. worst thing to do is give fish stressed from shipping a huge temperature change.

If you look at different online fish sellers, you will find that almost every one will have different guidelines for acclimating their fish. When I get fish or anything, I acclimate the same way I always do, most sellers only offer a DOA policy anyways, nothing beyond that as far as staying alive for a week or whatever. If they do have something like that though, I would say to either follow their procedure or at least tell them that you did.