Kasa wifi timer

Slick_Nick

Hello everyone I just purchased two of the kasa wifi timers and I’m a bit confused on setting the schedule. I have a fluval aquasky which has sunrise and sunset and I’m trying to do the same on this but I feel like I’m doing something wrong I’ll post a picture of what I have hopefully someone with some knowledge can help. Basically I want my sunrise to go from 7 to 8 a.m. and then sunset from 3 to 4p.m.

9C4410FF-2DF3-4B4E-994E-0A3C8B464F8B.png

Sorry, still not quite following.

The Sunrise and Sunset function for Kasa will be just that...meteorological sunrise and sunset as a time, adjusted for both lat/Lon and time of year. You can have the light turn on or off at that exact time, or plus/minus an hour worth of minutes from that time.

The Aquasky will dim on and off as its sunset or sunrise function. I don’t know if the current app can start that at metorlogical sunrise, but I used to do that by starting a “midnight” function at sunrise using a timer similar to the above. Ie, the program started at “midnight”, and I took advantage of the fact it forgets the time of day when power is cut to start using a timer whenever I wanted.

So in the picture you sent, you have an “on” command at 59 mins before sunrise. Where I live in Canada, that’s 8:40am right now, minus 59 mins, so 7:41am. The switch will turn on 100% every day. You also have another on command at 8am, which will be ignored because it’s already on.

Sunset is 4:40pm, plus 59 mins being 5:39pm. The switch will turn off at 3pm, however, so the  5:39 off will be ignored.

The morning and evening times will drift as the days get shorter and longer, but there’s no “dimming” function.

Edited by AdamTill
  • Thanks 1

The Kasa timer will just power on and off the outlet, there is no dimming function. The “sunrise/sunset” on the timer schedule refers to the actual time of day which will vary depending on where you are and the time of year.

Based on the picture, the light would turn on at 59 minutes before sunrise and then turn off at 3:00 PM. Nothing would happen at 8:00 AM or 59 minutes after sunset since those are redundant commands.

The Fluval light’s “sunrise/sunset” is a function, it does not work the same way as the timer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Slick_Nick said:

Thank you guys so much for clearing that up for me! I will go ahead and do without the sunrise and sunset then and just go ahead and set my lights from 7a.m. to 3p.m. I appreciate the help!

No worries. I don’t really find the sunrise etc option on switches very useful, because to keep algae down you don’t wan the amount of light changing anyway.

• Like 1

My tank with the aquasky on it is actually my tank that has no algae in it. I like the sunrise and sunset so the lights don’t just click on full blast! And you can adjust the light intensity with it as well which I have mine running at 40% which I believe helps a lot with not having any algae. Really liking the new kasa timers I received from aquarium coop though much better than my noisy old school timers! And now my son can’t hit buttons and make the lights turn on at random times lol 😂 

• Like 1

Oh yes I see what you’re saying! I agree that wouldn’t work well at all! I feed my fish every morning before work! That means in the winter I’d have to feed my fish in the dark or call work and tell them I’ll be in once the sun rises and I can feed my fish!

• Like 1