Recharging Purigen

KyleKVK

I’m in the process of it, and I’m currently soaking my 24 hour bleached Purigen in 4 tablespoons of Prime and water. 

The instructions say to then soak it in a pH regulator for 4 hours before adding it back into the tank. I have one, but my pH is stable and slightly higher than 7. I’m worried that adding it back into the filter will cause my pH to crash.

Has anyone had any experience with this?

I found this on an different forum..

As I understand it, from reading Seachem's support forums, they initially added the suggestion to buffer after some tanks experienced pH spikes (high pH) with regenerated Purigen...
However, they later found that the actual culprit was the chlorine in common bleach products had increased. After increasing the suggested dose of prime, the pH buffering wasn't really necessary anymore.. That said, they still keep the suggestion around, and it is probably a good idea if you are using very low KH water that can be easily swayed..

• Like 1

On 12/23/2020 at 6:55 PM, FishyJames said:

Fyi, When soaking in buffer even more color came out turning the water into tea.  The purigen didn't return to original color, I'm thinking the dollar store bleach didn't do its job.  Next time I'm going to use a new jug of clorox.

In my experience with purigen, it never returns to its initial color after regeneration. 

I've been using quite a bit of purogen lately. Recharged maybe a dozen bags so far. The color doesn't quite come back but it's close. I soak in a little prime after 2 days in the bleach then I let it dry completely out before rinsing and using again. Haven't had any issues other than if I don't shake it a bit every once in a while in the bleach not all of it gets recharged. I can see the dark granules that are not getting burned out.

I restore purigen in 50/50 bleach/ water solution for 24h and then i let it few days in water with prime. After that i store it in container with some water.

Seachem is actually recommending to keep purigen moist and bot to let it dry out.

"Purigen® needs to be stored in a small amount of water to keep the media moist. This will prevent the beads from drying out, which can cause them to shrink and crack, reducing the efficacy of the Purigen®. "

On 12/20/2020 at 9:22 PM, FishyJames said:

I found this on an different forum..

As I understand it, from reading Seachem's support forums, they initially added the suggestion to buffer after some tanks experienced pH spikes (high pH) with regenerated Purigen...
However, they later found that the actual culprit was the chlorine in common bleach products had increased. After increasing the suggested dose of prime, the pH buffering wasn't really necessary anymore.. That said, they still keep the suggestion around, and it is probably a good idea if you are using very low KH water that can be easily swayed..

Came here to say the same thing. I never use it because of this. 

• 8 months later...
On 12/23/2020 at 7:31 PM, Coronal Mass Ejection Carl said:

Make sure you don't get any of the fancy "splash less" bleach.

Do you know if the sodium hyper chloride level really matters? I saw on Seachem’s website they said not splash less and 8.25% but I’ve not been able to find over 7.25%