Tanlefan

I got some pygmy corydora yesterday and after bringing them home and taking a closer look I noticed one is missing an eye. I'm chalking this up to "it happens" and realize that there's no way to determine when/how/why the eye was lost. He looks happy enough, swimming around with the others and eating. I'm dosing with the quarantine trio just to be safe.

But, since he does technically have a big 'ole hole in his head, is there a higher likelihood of him getting sick in the future? Should I take precautions or just keep a close watch on him?

I have a one eyed congo tetra female that has been happily in my school for a bit over three years now. Her aim is admittedly not the best so sometimes she goes for food and totally misses but being I keep the tank well fed, she keeps up just fine. When I first got her from the store she was skinnier than her tankmates, no doubt from being out competed for food. 

I do watch her more closely than the rest of the school for any signs of swelling or discoloration but so far she's just as healthy as the rest 

• 2 months later...

I knew the Care Forum members  would come up trumps on missing eyes!IMG_20201029_172021905.jpg.5e3e9ba0573ea09dda064a8c19ed2256.jpg

I brought some neon tetras home Tuesday night, and put them in the quarantine tank, and left the light off.

Yesterday morning I noticed that one is missing the right eye, but it appears well healed over.

The poor mite swims kinda funny, and likes to stay near cover of ornaments and the sponge filter, but seems to be getting enough food.

Yup, I will monitor, but not fret.  Thanks for the reassurance of this thread!