Live stream chat!

Hobbit

I agree with Cory monsters are a tricky subject I now own 2 alligator gars but I have a 800 gallon pool pond for my guys. I have had my baby boy bubbles for almost 10 years now and i love my little guy he is 3 foot long and I am hoping to get him up to 5 feet however I was young and dumb when I got him (still dumb and still pretty young) I plan on upgrading him to whatever I can whenever I need to for him. That being said learn from the monster keepers who have failed. the people who want to get a fish like that and they think a 125 is a big tank you should not keep anything that has the ability to get bigger then 18 inches. 

@Bern cave A pH 12 makes me question whether the person is doing their pH test correctly or whether their test has gone bad. Lye (drain cleaner, also used in soap making) is pH 12 and if you get it on your skin it will cause serious burns. (For every one pH you go up, a solution is 10 times more alkaline. So pH 12 is 100,000 more basic than pH 7.)

That's what im saying. I don't like lotions or any kind of soap going into my tank so I can't imagine having the same ph as lye or drain cleaner. Good to know about that. With a tank with those actual parameters would you remove the fish into a makeshift tank and start from scratch?

@Bern cave honestly you would probably need to call poison control to help you. There wouldn’t be any fish to remove—they would be long dead. I take a lot of precautions when making soap and that’s with maybe a cup of lye. I can’t imagine what I’d do with even five gallons of the stuff. 😬 There’s a cautionary tale on someone’s blog where her two year old grabbed the pitcher of lye when her back was turned for just one second. The kid had to go to the emergency room with burns all over his body.

@Hobbit Interesting enough I just tested my water and had a PH jump from 6.8 to at least 8.8. After retesting it's back to 6.8 to 7.0 What happened was a drop of my last ammonia test was still on the cap of the test tube and made it shoot up. So that could be what happened. I'm curious what they were using to get a ph of 12. API high range test maxes out at 8.8. This makes me think they are using a faulty ph pen. I wanted to make soap until I watched fight club. The lye scene turned me away from that whole process though. 

• Like 1

I’m curious what test they were using too. And yeah the fight club scene is pretty intense. I make soap in small batches with rubber gloves, safety goggles, good ventilation, and a lot of vigilance. If you plan things well you only have concentrated lye for a very short time before you mix it with other things. No need to put it on your bare hands. 😉

• Like 1