I need help with a good problem?

Speakeasy

Hey all, I run a little bit of a turtle rescue and as such I have a plethora of outdoor tubs to house the turtles in. This year I had a open tub so I stocked it with water hyacinth and leopard daniosand and tried my hand at breeding them. So as goes the danios are breeding and the hyacinth is growing, and as the hyacinth grows i have been pulling plants from the danio tub and put them in the various turtle tubs.

Lately I've noticed that every turtle tub has a small swarm of danio fry in them (guessing either eggs or small fry hitched a ride in the roots of the hyacinth). Which is awesome but now the hyacinth has over taken the all over the tubs. Normally I would start pulling plants from the tubs and add them to my compost pile but this year I don't want to loose the fry that maybe hiding in the roots. 

Guess what I'm asking is....Does anyone have any good i deals as to how I can make sure the hyacinth i pull from the tubs are fry free before I add them to the compost heap?

49 minutes ago, Speakeasy said:

Hey all, I run a little bit of a turtle rescue and as such I have a plethora of outdoor tubs to house the turtles in. This year I had a open tub so I stocked it with water hyacinth and leopard daniosand and tried my hand at breeding them. So as goes the danios are breeding and the hyacinth is growing, and as the hyacinth grows i have been pulling plants from the danio tub and put them in the various turtle tubs.

Lately I've noticed that every turtle tub has a small swarm of danio fry in them (guessing either eggs or small fry hitched a ride in the roots of the hyacinth). Which is awesome but now the hyacinth has over taken the all over the tubs. Normally I would start pulling plants from the tubs and add them to my compost pile but this year I don't want to loose the fry that maybe hiding in the roots. 

Guess what I'm asking is....Does anyone have any good i deals as to how I can make sure the hyacinth i pull from the tubs are fry free before I add them to the compost heap?

Can the roots be gently rinsed in a clean basin of water to see if any fry are tagging along, etc?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Moving plants I try to hand wipe them depending on the type. Run your hands from “the water line” where it was down to the tip a few times to get things loose. Do this above water obviously. To avoid detritus you could do over a bucket of pond water. I do this with a combo of rough swishing in the water. 
Good luck. Maybe you should sell em. Although it could be more hassle then it’s worth. 

• Thanks 1