Aquasky on 40 Breeder

Doug_E

I have a 20 long that will eventually be swapped with a 40 breeder. It is planted with easy low to medium light plants (Anubias Nana/Petite, Java Fern, Water Sprite, amazon sword, Jungle Val, and some of the easier reds whose names I cannot remember). 

I was thinking I might move the 24-36" Aquasky to the 40 breeder and pair it with a second 24-36 someone is selling. 

The other idea is getting a 36-48" Aquasky. Would that be sufficient? I can't find PAR values for the Aquasky lights. I've tried asking Fluval but no response. 

I know the Plant 3.0 would be more than sufficient...too bright even...but price is prohibitive. 

The 24/7 is another good light, but I like the customization the Fluvals allow. 

I have the Aquasky 48” on a 75 and it’s a lot of light. The app makes it customizable which you already know. The one you are thinking of should be perfect and 40 breeders aren’t too deep so it should be plenty with the plants you have.  I plan on keeping similar plants with that light and feel it is doable in a deeper tank. Good luck!

The key with some of these modern lights is not their ability to power up, but our ability to de-power them for our needs.

I will use a sailing metaphor. My Viper 640 is fully powered up in 12 knots of wind, and the key to getting good performance in bigger wind is to de-power the rig and sails to remain in-control. Otherwise, you are going fast in the wrong direction.

• Like 1

I'm glad I didn't get the Aquasky. I got a Plant 3.0 NIB from someone and definitely prefer it. The light just looks better and the customization options are more useful. Not that the Aquasky customization isn't good, the Plant is just better. 

Is it worth 2x as much? For my needs and my opinion, no. But I got a decent deal so the cost was not much more.