Keeping female guppies with White Cloud Mountain Minnows... Yes/No?

Karen B.

I bought 6 guppy - males. There was a surprise fry in the bag!

From what I can see so far, it’s going to be a female so I don’t want to let her in the 10 gallons with the males.

My other tank is a 20 gallons with 12 white cloud mountain minnows and 1 dwarf crayfish. I would like to put my female there and maybe breed her in a seperate plastic tub once or twice for fun/have few females to add with her in the 20 gallons so she doesn’t stay the only guppy.
Can these two fish species coexist? I know the temperature is a bit at the limit but I’d keep the aquarium at 72.

What are you tought on my project? Doable? Will the fish be happy?

8 minutes ago, lefty o said:

72 is fine. ive had guppies and white clouds in the same tank before, and never a problem.

Sweet, thanks!

Do they interact with each other?

Guppy are more energetic then White Cloud... does it causes stress to either party?

3 hours ago, lefty o said:

they pretty much do their own thing, and dont bother each other.

Ditto. I have guppies and white clouds (as well as a few other things) together in my community tank. I'm sure the minnows would prefer a temp lower than 78*F, but I mainly cater to the guppies. Plus the white clouds have been very healthy and happy. I dont see a lot of interaction; honestly each species is mainly only concerned with their own group.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kat_Rigel said:

Ditto. I have guppies and white clouds (as well as a few other things) together in my community tank. I'm sure the minnows would prefer a temp lower than 78*F, but I mainly cater to the guppies. Plus the white clouds have been very healthy and happy. I dont see a lot of interaction; honestly each species is mainly only concerned with their own group.

Thank you very much! I like White Clouds Minnow but as they were supposed to be only my schooling fish to a centerpiece fish that I later learned wouldn’t be compatible temp wise (thank you LFS for bad advice!), I felt a bit disappointed that it would be them only in my 20 gallons.

What else are you keeping with them?

3 hours ago, Brandy said:

My mutt guppies have been frequently at or below 72. They are tough little nuggets. Not at all the same as the fancy strains. I keep them in an unheated but covered tank, at whatever my normal room temperature is. 

Thank you so much for your answer! Looking forward to my new project now!

On 12/8/2020 at 7:59 AM, Streetwise said:

@Karen B., I am a huge fan of White Clouds, and I usually pair them with Neocaridina shrimp, bladder snails, and/or ramshorn snails. You could go with orange shrimp for a nice color theme.

My problem is that I have a mexicain dwarf crayfish and he is a psychopath to anything that’s on the ground. He won’t touch the fishes, never raised a pincers at them... but he killed his brother and his father...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Streetwise said:

Good point, I missed that!

I don’t know why but all the fish/living creatures I put in that 20 gallons turn psycho. Yet everything I choose is supposed to be peaceful. My dad crayfish killed the female (I was supposed to have 2 females but breeder sent only one... 😡). 5 babies survived for few weeks, then poof they were two. And then the strongest killed (and partly ate... 🤢) his brother and probably his father.

White Clouds Mountain Minnows are known to be peaceful... one of mine in less then a week managed tu hurt every males I had. Part of their fins were gone. I named him Jaws. I did everything I could but eventually had to part with him. Everyone laughs at me tho when I say WCMM and agressive in the same sentence.

5 hours ago, Karen B. said:

What else are you keeping with them?

I have them in my 55gal community tank, which includes the guppies and white clouds as well as Beckford's pencilfish, bronze corys, and kyathit danios. I used to have neocaridinias and bamboo shrimp too, but I had a fertilizer issue which killed them. 😞

I'm surprised that your crayfish lets anything swimming remain alive; I had always heard they killed everything that moves (well, yours apparently kills everything on the ground!) I love inverts and the only reason I haven't kept crayfish is because I thought they killed everything. I'll still wait a while to get one, but thanks for the info!