My pH and KH won't go down!

Asia

Help! I'm sorry if I'm putting this comment in the wrong topic

For 10 days, I can't get 

the pH in my tank water to the right parameters. 

I have a Betta. pH should be 7 as a goal and KH between 70 and 140.

My pH has been 8.5 and KH off the chart high.

This morning I added distilled water. I tested just now and no difference..In a panic I just added coral, forgetting that it was for raising KH.

Can anyone help me troubleshoot this?

Edited by Asia
To change 170 to 70

Did you test your distilled water? What is the pH and other parameters? 

Adding more details about your setup (Is it a new tank? What is the tank size? Substrate? Plants? How much water did you change? Do you use any chemicals like dechorinator or fertilizer or others? Which test do you use?) would help in troubleshooting. 

I have a Betta in a tank with a PH around 8.0. That's how it comes out of the tap with a 120 KH. He seems fine,

What is the PH of your tap water?

How big is your tank and how much distilled water did you add?

Also, what else(not fish) is in the tank, can you post a pic?

Edited by Marc
fixed water parameter

10 hours ago, Asia said:

Help! I'm sorry if I'm putting this comment in the wrong topic

For 10 days, I can't get 

the pH in my tank water to the right parameters. 

I have a Betta. pH should be 7 as a goal and KH between 70 and 140.

My pH has been 8.5 and KH off the chart high.

This morning I added distilled water. I tested just now and no difference..In a panic I just added coral, forgetting that it was for raising KH.

Can anyone help me troubleshoot this?

If your betta seems happy, I wouldn't worry about your water parameters. Test results can be scarier than they really are. Usually the best test is how the fish are doing.

• Like 3

One thing I’ve learned is that for the most part, fish are adaptable. They do much better when things are stable. If we rush to change things, the wild fluctuations are often more stressful on the fish than if parameters aren’t “perfect”. I haven’t tested pH on any of my tanks since I set them back up. I test my Kh, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and Gh. I accidentally overdosed Gh thinking my tap water didn’t have any, and rn my betta tanks Gh is at 20. It was at 24. I’ve been slowly bringing it down with weekly water changes, and he’s doing fine. If you’re really worried about the Kh and the pH, take the coral out. Get your hands on some Seachem Acid Buffer, and lower the Kh slowly over the next few days, let the betta adapt and adjust. But if he looks fine, is eating fine, isn’t acting strange or look sick, then he’s probably fine.