Plants for Buenos Aires Tetras??

I have a 30g cube tank for 10 BA tetras and 13 neons, with some snails. I have a soil layer then gravel and then drift wood with some plants glued with others planted in gravel and soil. It doesn’t matter what I feed my Buenos Aires tetras or how often, they with chomp on the plants and roots. Any ideas to stop this?? I am trying to cover the tank in plants so the neons feel free to swim to the top. I’m at my loss with these BA tetras for over 6 months. Everytime I get growth, they kill it so I keep moving them from tank to tank for isolation or more room. Nothing helps, so I set up a tank as close to their natural habitat but they won’t stop with the plants!!! I’ve given high quality omega one flakes, bug bites, fresh frozen flood worms, frozen mixture, and frozen daphnia. Help!! TIA! 

What sorta plants have you been trying? From the sounds of it you are trying to use floaters so the neons will feel more covered with floater roots providing hiding spots. I would suggest frogbit and water lettuce, these 2 are robust and can often take a beating. I also agree with Colu on the anubias. Get some big anubias barteri, it's unlike to be chomped because it's so thick. They can be left floating or attached to anything.

Buenos Aires Tetras will destroy plants if you aren’t feeding them their veggies. The foods you have been feeding do not contain enough plant matter to satisfy them. Try feeding them spinach and maybe spirulina flakes in a non planted tank. After they are used to eating it, add plants. Still try to stick with more robust plants though.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, teenage fish said:

Buenos Aires Tetras will destroy plants if you aren’t feeding them their veggies. The foods you have been feeding do not contain enough plant matter to satisfy them. Try feeding them spinach and maybe spirulina flakes in a non planted tank. After they are used to eating it, add plants. Still try to stick with more robust plants though.

Awesome to know! Thank you!!