Hello! I’m new to aquascape world. Had been reading and watching lots of forums and videos before started. That’s where I know about aquarium coop.
Anyway, I purchased over $50 worth of plants, chose those that categorized as easy and for newbie plants like me, swords, javafern, etc as you can see from my picture. I also happen to have those small plants, not sure what’s the name but this plant is known as carpet plant(?). I bought the seeds from amazon (it turned out originally came from china). Anyway, I have 55 gallon tank, currently no fish, only get morning sun rays about 35 min a day that’s why I chose plants that do not require lots of sun. I bought $70 worth of substrate from petco (see picture). 
everything looks good on the first 2 weeks but the third week I start noticing yellow leaves on my plants, most of valissneria looks like they’re dying too, I don’t see bright green leaves coming out. Only the sword plants seems to look the same but almost all plants including the carpet plant start to show algae on their leaves. 
I purchased easy green all in one fertilizer a couple of days ago but the delivery is delayed  so I have not applied it yet. Iwas thinking this solution may help(?).

One thing that may contribute to this failure is that the water temp is around 65F. I have tank’s heater to warm up the water but I was waiting for the carpet plants to root deeper into the substrate before I can move my (bottom feeder, algae eater) fish &  the heater  into this big tank. so I right now I use the heater to warm up my fish in a smaller tank. If I put my fish to the 55 gallon tank right now he is going to ransack my carpet plant since they are still babies & their roots are still on the surface of substrate.

What do I need to do to salvage all my dying plants ? Very desperately need help!!!

FFEFD1BF-87E2-4CDC-B464-122A45B733D4.jpeg

251B5433-D0FB-4FD3-8C6B-21EEC5646BF3.jpeg

Eco-Complete is inert so adding fertilizer like Easy Green and Root Tabs is very good idea.

Plants like cool water, so that is not a problem. Also, plant often die back at first and then resprout from the roots, so some patience is need. But definitely feed them and give them good light.

The carpeting seed plant doesn't seem to grow well in the long run. I think @Casual aquatics tried them, maybe he can report back on his experience?

• Thanks 1

Im kinda confused on your setup. You said your tank gets 35 mins of light a day from the sun. Does that mean you don't have a light over your tank? If so, then the first step i recommend is to get a light over your tank. The plants you got are considered low light, and don't require much light, but they do need a prolonged period of light for them to go through their photosynthesis and grow.

• 1 month later...
On 12/5/2020 at 9:52 AM, Daniel said:

Eco-Complete is inert so adding fertilizer like Easy Green and Root Tabs is very good idea.

Plants like cool water, so that is not a problem. Also, plant often die back at first and then resprout from the roots, so some patience is need. But definitely feed them and give them good light.

The carpeting seed plant doesn't seem to grow well in the long run. I think @Casual aquatics tried them, maybe he can report back on his experience?

I can totally confirm that carpet plants seeds anyway do not have the best turn out not to

On 10/9/2020 at 12:43 AM, Cory said:

On 10/22/2020 at 10:33 AM, Bekah said:

We use the Ziss Bio Bubble filter from Aquarium Coop in our 29gal planted tank, which is similar to what you are interested in. It does a good job of adding air and some filtration. I would ideally like to add a sponge filter but running on this, the tank does just fine! 

On 10/21/2020 at 6:13 PM, Cory said:

You'd send it directly to invision as we don't have any control over the app.

On 12/5/2020 at 9:52 AM, Daniel said:

i can verify that the carpet plant seeds do not work to well yes they will grow but it’s so Sporadic and spread out. They are real sticky like in a way that it will stick to anything start clogging up your filters snd such if gets in there. I don’t have pictures right at moment cause I’m at work but if you want to see my outcome message me as a reminder and I’ll share the pics tonight also there should be a thread for carpet plants on my page or wherever that I did post some pics along with a few others as well