I am new to this hobby, a few months.  Question is;  Can I have low light plants and keep the LED lights at mostly Red on all the time.  I need a tranquil aquarium due to PTSD.  So, the Red and or Blue light is more calming.

What plants mostly need for photosynthesis is reds and blues, white is the least useful except to extent that white is just a mixture of reds, blues, and greens. There are LED lights that you can use only the blues and reds (which results in a purple color) and these lights will grow plants just fine.

Thank you so much.  Seems the answers I get from internet searches are talking about the tech of lighting.  Someone needs to have a Dummies for new fish tanks that would cover everything in one place

• Like 1

You might want to look into grow lights instead of aquarium lights. They tend to be more red/blue spectrum and less "white." Most aquarium lights are designed to make viewing the fish optimal and plant growth is a secondary consideration. If you don't mind the red (purplish) glow then a pure plant light might be your best option. 

I will say that blue light is not particularly calming to the human species involved with Aquaria Life. 😉 From studies I've heard of, it's best to avoid all blue light (tv, phone, computer, aquarium light, etc.) for 2 hours or so before going to bed. Amber and red lights are preferable for night lights, too. We use a salt lamp in our bathroom as a night light. It's a lovely, calming amber color.