What plants mostly need for photosynthesis is reds and blues, white is the least useful except to extent that white is just a mixture of reds, blues, and greens. There are LED lights that you can use only the blues and reds (which results in a purple color) and these lights will grow plants just fine.

Thank you so much.  Seems the answers I get from internet searches are talking about the tech of lighting.  Someone needs to have a Dummies for new fish tanks that would cover everything in one place

• Like 1

You might want to look into grow lights instead of aquarium lights. They tend to be more red/blue spectrum and less "white." Most aquarium lights are designed to make viewing the fish optimal and plant growth is a secondary consideration. If you don't mind the red (purplish) glow then a pure plant light might be your best option. 

I will say that blue light is not particularly calming to the human species involved with Aquaria Life. 😉 From studies I've heard of, it's best to avoid all blue light (tv, phone, computer, aquarium light, etc.) for 2 hours or so before going to bed. Amber and red lights are preferable for night lights, too. We use a salt lamp in our bathroom as a night light. It's a lovely, calming amber color.