Moss carpet mat question

yassy

Moss mat question

I saw some suppliers sells moss attached to square mat (wire??) like this https://aquaticarts.com/collections/moss-plants-on-mats/products/java-moss-mat to place onto substrate. My questions are..

1. When you place mat on the gravel, you just place on top and wait for it to grow ?
  2. When you want to gravel vacuum, can I move the moss mat around to clean under the wire? Or as time goes by, it grabs substrate and I cannot move it around easy like driftwood with moss?
  3. Over time, would the moss mat develop rust or something that might cause shrimp in the shrimp tank at risk in the tank? No worry about rusting? I have not bought it so I do not know what to expect.
It just that moss carpet looks real nice and would like to try someday in my shrimp tank..

Yup, just place the mesh on top of the substrate. If you want to clean under the mat, moving it won't hurt anything. If left alone for a long period of time the moss will try to creep off and attach itself to other things. You can just keep it trimmed if you want it to stay on the mat. There shouldn't be any rust, I believe. I think they typically use a stainless steel mesh. 

1 hour ago, H.K.Luterman said:

Yup, just place the mesh on top of the substrate. If you want to clean under the mat, moving it won't hurt anything. If left alone for a long period of time the moss will try to creep off and attach itself to other things. You can just keep it trimmed if you want it to stay on the mat. There shouldn't be any rust, I believe. I think they typically use a stainless steel mesh. 

Thank you. So.. it is not like it will grow root or something into the substrate once you place a mat on the substrate and periodically like every other week for shrimp tank water change time, I can lift it up and gravel vacuum and I only need to make sure it stays short so it would not attach it to decoration near or something like that then.

When I see shrimp tank in youtube, some people got moss carpeted ground and it pops shrimp color and I thought it nice but I was not sure of how to place it, how to gravel vac once it placed  on it. Husband was thinking that if carpeted like that even not mesh one like... hair grass or other carpeted plants in the tank, he thought people would just hoove siphon over the plants and not stick the siphon into the gravel to clean the tank. So, it got me wonder. If once planted like that, you cannot clean that carpeted area as much as non carpeted ground.

Thank you.