What’s your most expensive tank?

Just decided to ask this question because just the freshwater side alone can get EXTREMELY expensive. My personal most expensive freshwater tank is surprisingly my smallest one, the 5.5 gallon, costing me ~$300 over time. But for my main most expensive tank would be my 28 gallon saltwater reef tank, which I am still working on, at ~$500.

and yes, I’m aware my saltwater tank has tons  of algae, the snails don’t clean the sand very well and I’m worried about disturbing the tigger pods in that sand.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Justnotrook
  • Like 1

On 10/5/2024 at 11:06 PM, Justnotrook said:

Just decided to ask this question because just the freshwater side alone can get EXTREMELY expensive. My personal most expensive freshwater tank is surprisingly my smallest one, the 5.5 gallon, costing me ~$300 over time. But for my main most expensive tank would be my 28 gallon saltwater reef tank, which I am still working on, at ~$500.

Worked for a Petland one of the owners charged me $800 for 180 gallon tank, stand, lids, florescent light fixtures. Purchased the aquarium in 1995. I've spent thousands on fish and equipment lol I started with saltwater. After a few years I converted aquarium to freshwater. Also had other smaller tanks setup. I have the same 180 setup this day. The original stand did not last. @Justnotrook

Edited by Tlindsey
  • Like 1

We have 3 tanks over a year old, with typical beginner livestock. With tank, all contents, plus equipment (including some automation and video, since I have disability), food, medicine, tools, supplies and furniture, here are our expenses per gallon, by age of tank:

1 yr 4 mo 10 gal kids' tank: $110/gal

1 yr 3 mo 20 gal long tank*: $100/gal EDIT: Mistyped earlier at $200/gal.

1 yr 10 gal teen tank' $75/gal

As you can see, we went overboard with the first 2 tanks. Too much unnecessary and new and name brand parts.

*The 20g expenses includes bulk supplies and setup of 4 permanent qt that covers all our tanks for another year or so.

These are more recent setups:

7 mo 65g 4ft tank' $30/gal

1 mo 40g breeder tank: $15/gal

On the newer setups, we bought most parts used and reduced equipment like heaters, ups and diy-ed a lot. Most livestock and plants were obtained from fellow fish club members or local hobbyists. We also began to save more as plants propagated and bought bulk supplies (see 20g*) that we reused and shared across tanks.

I would argue that the initial setup expenses for the first 2 tanks covered all the remaining tanks. I estimate, this "saved" the other 3 tanks about $20-30/gal. Take my attempt at multi-tank syndrome math with a grain of salt.

If we were to help a beginner friend setup a tank, I think we could manage on a realistic, entry to the hobby budget of $50/gal for first year expenses.

Edited by HelplessNewbie
  • Like 2

On 10/6/2024 at 8:49 AM, HelplessNewbie said:

I know, I am ashamed to admit. Lots of plants and livestock bought at high prices, that eventually died. Unnecessarily new furniture and equipment.

I gotta check out that journal 

Wait….. That’s 4000 dollars!? At maximum that would be $600.

On 10/6/2024 at 9:50 AM, Justnotrook said:

I gotta check out that journal 

Wait….. That’s 4000 dollars!? At maximum that would be $600.

The only way I could see reaching that number is by buying a very good looking handmade wooden stand and top. 

I’m really good at killing plants but I’m at maybe 600 for my 20 long, including light, filtration, overpriced wood, gravel, aquasoil, various test kits and micro ferts, and dozens of plants that my Flagfish absolutely gobbled up. 

you would have to have tons of the highest end plants like the bright pink hygros, solid white anubias, rare bucephalandra species. There’s hardly room in there for that much money to be spent. 

On 10/6/2024 at 11:02 AM, MWilk said:

The only way I could see reaching that number is by buying a very good looking handmade wooden stand and top. 

I’m really good at killing plants but I’m at maybe 600 for my 20 long, including light, filtration, overpriced wood, gravel, aquasoil, various test kits and micro ferts, and dozens of plants that my Flagfish absolutely gobbled up. 

you would have to have tons of the highest end plants like the bright pink hygros, solid white anubias, rare bucephalandra species. There’s hardly room in there for that much money to be spent. 

It is ridiculous, I know. There was automation (leak detection and light controls) with UPS, etc. Looking through my records, it did coincide with setup of 4 permanent qt and bulk supplies that I lumped under expenses for the 20 long. So, realistically, it was more $100/gal for the 20 long and $80/gal for the 10gal. Still a lot, but I know better now!

All those supplies will cover all 5 tanks for another year.

Edited by HelplessNewbie
  • Like 1

15 years ago I had ~40k into a reef in my shop.

48x48x24 cube, ran an ats, 2 400 and 5 250 de  halides, motorized ball valves for surge tanks for wave making, huge ca reactor, same size sump and 500 gallon fuge/ grow out behind the wall.

Once i got it stable it was great for 7 years, then the neighboring auto body shop caught fire and that part of my shop was damaged by fire, smoke and water.

the guys insurance agent could not believe what i had in it.   I had every receipt as i was using it for a tax write off.

Edited by TAB
  • Like 1

My current setup is my most expsensive. The tank and lid were $190 (UNS 60S). Another $190 for the light and filter. About $250 in plants, hardscape and substrate. 

I bought a filter initially that I could not get running. Need to sell it. Honestly, I don't remember how much the stand was. 

I

• Like 1

On 10/6/2024 at 2:39 PM, sairving said:

My current setup is my most expsensive. The tank and lid were $190 (UNS 60S). Another $190 for the light and filter. About $250 in plants, hardscape and substrate. 

I bought a filter initially that I could not get running. Need to sell it. Honestly, I don't remember how much the stand was. 

I

I would pay that much for a UNS 60s, lights, filters, heaters, and plants in a heartbeat and find out when I get home I have no space for it

• Haha 2

I reviewed the expenses again for my 20 long and updated my first post. Looks like I typo-ed. It is $100/gal, not $200/gal.

See example of expenses. Hope this can help illustrate to other newbies about how expenses can add up over time. Again, these 20g expenses included bulk supplies and that covers all 5 of my tanks for first 2 years. It also includes optional automation and power solutions.Screenshot_20241007-090013.png.654cbcaa8e4a71bbb58285f99bc83af8.png

• Like 1

My 20g, over the last 8 months plus. I have dropped at least 500 bucks on it. My 10g too actually LOL. I have spent about 700 on that alone

IMG_8805.jpg

IMG_8802.jpg

Now looking at the fish I bought too., The plants that have died. The decor, the filters. Idk maybe like 600.

No fish in the 20 tho rn. They died...

Edited by Whitecloud09
  • Like 1

Maybe I’ve spent more than I think, or I just spread it out over upgrades for a few things over the years, but I feel like most of my tanks have come in way under what is listed here. 

Breed some fish and trade them for credit, homies! Then you get stuff for “free”, and that always feels good. 

• Like 3

On 10/7/2024 at 8:37 PM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

Maybe I’ve spent more than I think, or I just spread it out over upgrades for a few things over the years, but I feel like most of my tanks have come in way under what is listed here. 

Breed some fish and trade them for credit, homies! Then you get stuff for “free”, and that always feels good. 

I need a permit to do that in Colorado 

Plus, the application to the permit is $100 (which is doable) so maybe next year I’ll get a rack and a bunch of tanks to breed fish, shrimp, and snails to sell and trade them. At least one of my local fish stores accepts coral, but they are a saltwater-only store.

My UNS 45s was about $85, which is more than I paid for my 40 breeder (used) or any of my 20 long aquariums, which were $1 per gallon. Add to that the cost of the filter, hardscape, wood, mister, and plants...and it was over $200. Never again. It's my only rimless tank. 

Shallow.jpg

Edited by Scaperoot
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

On 10/8/2024 at 6:05 AM, Justnotrook said:

I need a permit to do that in Colorado

I’m also in Colorado. No permit needed unless you’re selling. At least to the best of my knowledge. Hence the “trade for store credit” which is then used in store for whatever I want with no money exchanged. 

Edited by AllFishNoBrakes
  • Like 1