How to stop dirt from getting into the water column

After I bought an aco light for my 55 gallon I found that my problem with water clarity was dirt and not tannins. I have about 3 inches of topsoil with about 1/2-3/4 in of quickcrete pool filter sand. The dirt has been leaching into the water for several months and with one exception it has done this consistently every time between water changes. I currently have 1 large aco sponge filter. How can I stop the dirt from leaching into the water?

Look at how Father Fish does his. It's usually around a 3" sand cap. and depending on if you have digging fish, even that may not be deep enough. When I temporarily moved my skunk corys, they dug to the bottom of the tank. 2" + of sand. Not intentionally, they were just very skittish in the new tank

On 9/26/2024 at 1:23 PM, Tony s said:

Look at how Father Fish does his. It's usually around a 3" sand cap. and depending on if you have digging fish, even that may not be deep enough. When I temporarily moved my skunk corys, they dug to the bottom of the tank. 2" + of sand. Not intentionally, they were just very skittish in the new tank

I have one large green Cory and five smaller juliis. What do you think would be the best depth? I will redo the tank if I have to but I would rather not if that is possible.

I honestly don't have any experience with dirted tanks. But was listening to tank talk podcast this afternoon and they were discussing the differences. I was actually surprised my skunk corys kicked up that much sand. it was at least 2 inches deep. But they were frightened, and it was in the corner. And they went to the bottom there. Was kind of interesting because it exposed new plant roots

I have about 3/4” of high iron clay under 2” of sand in my 100 G nanofish (plus cories and plecos) tank and my big bristlenose pleco boys still stir it up sometimes.  Plus moving any rooted plants at all stirs it up.  I regret having clay in the bottom of that tank because it’s too messy and it’s not been very convincing as a nutrient sink.  It’s probably not enough of a layer for a good nutrient sink but I can’t imagine what a mess the tank would be if I had more clay and less sand.  A clown pleco isn’t going to be as messy as my big bristlenoses but it’s still a pleco and my clown pleco does dig himself hollows under the edges of the driftwood to some extent.  A sand layer less than 2” over any kind of soil is going to be a perpetual dust cloud in the water with any bottom feeders but especially with cories and plecos.

• Like 2

On 9/27/2024 at 6:37 AM, mynameisnobody said:

Here’s a quick thought, if it’s not heavily planted, what’s the point of dirting it? Seems like you’re making your life difficult for no reason. Also you’ll want much less dirt and much more sand. Your equations are backwards.

I assume it’s just not heavily planted yet. 

On 9/27/2024 at 6:37 AM, mynameisnobody said:

Here’s a quick thought, if it’s not heavily planted, what’s the point of dirting it? Seems like you’re making your life difficult for no reason. Also you’ll want much less dirt and much more sand. Your equations are backwards.

I plan on heavily planting it I just haven’t yet.

A sponge filter will never clarify the water column. You will need a hob or canister filter to do that. If you want clear water you should start over and get rid of the dirt. With those corys doing what they do, your water will always be cloudy. I still use a sponge filter, but mostly for aeration, and add a canister to clarify the water.

I'm not sure if it will work, but if you really don't want to change your filtration set-up, you could try temporarily tie some filter floss around the intake and add some Accuclear or some other additive like it, but like Weepnprophet has stated, it would likely recur.

You should easily be able to take all that stuff out, add your sand, and then plant the heck out of it - why else have a dirt bottom. 

If you want crystal clear water you can try wedging a polishing pad between your tank wall and sponge filter, or wrap a piece around the filter - I believe the co-op site/youtube channel has ways of optimizing a sponge filter like this - as well as Irene's channel "Girl Talks Fish." Personally I've found a this size does can do extremely well with both a sponge and HOB that has filter floss and purigen. You can also try one of those corner filters (also air driven) and put some filter floss in there.

On 9/27/2024 at 10:18 AM, Martin said:

I'm not sure if it will work, but if you really don't want to change your filtration set-up, you could try temporarily tie some filter floss around the intake and add some Accuclear or some other additive like it, but like Weepnprophet has stated, it would likely recur.

Or do like MD and I started to do and use a small internal filter for polishing the water 

Please trust us when we tell you that such a thin layer of sand will prevent your water from ever staying clear.  You’ll need at least 2” of sand to have a fighting chance with plecos and cories in the tank.  I have other tanks that are sand over clay and they are all problematic and will get substrate changed out eventually.

• Like 3