Weird, Aquatic Insect???

very possibly a dragonfly nymph. short, round compact body, with a larger abdomen. very good predator, depending on his size and your fish size. picture is a bit blurry so could be wrong. also depends on the size, no size reference. if very small, could be an aphid nymph. not a predator, unless you're a plant. also not aquatic, so won't be there long. without a clearer picture, very hard to tell

• Like 1

On 8/16/2024 at 7:51 PM, Spaghider said:

would this happen to get bigger if it was a dragonfly nymph

If it was a dragonfly nymph, it might be bigger already. Leaning towards another type of nymph, just not sure which one. The banded legs are typical of some terrestrial bugs. 

On 8/16/2024 at 7:53 PM, TheChosenOne said:

definitely a dragonfly nymph.

yeah, I'm not so sure. the form is correct. the size and the banding are off. But there are so many species variation from place to place. The form does remind me of gomphids though

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

No lid, but also 0 access to the outside or any potted plants. Haven’t even seen any dragon flies lately, so I don’t know how it’d have gotten in.

On 8/16/2024 at 8:21 PM, Woowala said:

likely predatory anyway, I'd remove it if you haven't yet

Larva recently just disappeared into the folliage, any way to lure it out?

(Update on this, just saw it and it DOUBLED in size already)

Edited by Spaghider

On 8/16/2024 at 10:52 PM, Spaghider said:

No lid, but also 0 access to the outside or any potted plants. Haven’t even seen any dragon flies lately, so I don’t know how it’d have gotten in.

Yeah, that was my thought. Unless you collected something from the wild. There are several things it could be. But I don’t think it’s a dragonfly. Although, the shape is close. 

On 8/17/2024 at 8:10 AM, Biotope Biologist said:

They can lay dormant for quite a while

That might actually be why! I bought quite a few plants a while back (and a few botanicals, but not sure if they could hide in it).

Question though, how big will it get? I have two female shrimp (1.5 - 1.75 inches) and don’t wanna lose ‘em.

On 8/17/2024 at 9:36 AM, Spaghider said:

Question though, how big will it get

Think of something a bit smaller than the size of your thumb, for a large one. So basically anything it can catch it’s going to eat. 

On 8/17/2024 at 10:44 AM, Spaghider said:

Finally got the nymph out! Curious though, anyone got an idea of what species this could be?

IMG_0302.jpeg.9d262bef792da7478b42acf45108f1db.jpeg

Won’t have much of an idea until it’s an adult. They are pretty hard to tell apart and if this came from your plants it is very likely a Florida resident which doesn’t narrow it down any haha…. Florida has a ton of dragonfly species 😅

• Like 1

Just to give you an idea of the complexity of iding juveniles. I still have a text book on  fly identification. It’s close to 1200 pages. In it you look at things like antennae base formation. You look at what hair is in what place on what plate. Granted, flies are much more complex than dragonflies with many many more species. But juvenile anything makes it much harder 

• Like 2