How do you protect your tank stands?

HansE

Hoping to get some insight before I drop too much money on a few things to bolster my fish room. I bring two topics to the table:

1. What are some of the community's go-to tricks for making the platform of your tank stand hold up to the abuse we put them through?

2. Additionally, what kind of stands do we favor; decorative vs functional? Metal vs wood? Store-bought vs handmade? 

Edited by HansE
to --> too

I reinforced the pads with a few 2x4 supports and reinforced the legs with more 2x4’s so that it can have some sway while staying sturdy. I worry about earthquakes here in the PNW

Lately I stay away from new build stands unless they are metal or metal reinforced. I thrift or shop marketplaces for old sturdier build cabinetry. And when I do diy I just stain with a poly coat to make the surface hydrophobic. No stains here! I have also been really into melamine foam sheets for easy cleanup in front of the tank.

For context a 50g lowboy with lots of rock and sand easily 500+ lb

IMG_3907.jpeg.31f501a7fdf33569e8553f4343253ce0.jpeg

• Like 2

I've used combination deck stain + sealant on the two diy stands I've made, can't say I'm in love with the color of either 😕

But they have held up nicely 👍🏽

• Like 1

I personally coated a 180 gallon stand build with deck stain to protect it from water and moisture. I honestly don't trust stands made from pressed wood. Almost had a disaster although the stand held for over many years. 

• Thanks 1

I only have two store-bought tank stands, one will be replaced this year by some metal garage shelving I got from my father-in-law and the other has been reinforced with 1-inch steel bar (by the aforementioned father-in-law). 

That leads me to my next question: 

To those who use the "heavy duty garage shelving"; what material do you use for the shelves and how do you prepare the shelf surface?

Google marine grade plywood. I used to work at Georgia Pacific it uses water proof glue and some has oil pressed into on the outside of it under high temp and pressure. They even make boats out of it. if you have to cut it always paint the edges with marine grade paint. Depends on your tank one or two layers of 3/4 inch. A large and long tank may need a cross bar of steel front to back

• Like 1

My current stand is a store bought stand. The tank is in my bedroom, needed to look decent and be functional. I have used clear vinyl shelf liner to protect the top and shelves. 

My only gripe is the stand is bit too farmhouse style.  Doesn't really go with the glam scandi style I have going on. My tank looks amazing on it though lol.

Edited by sairving
  • Thanks 1

On 8/8/2024 at 1:54 PM, Airborne 82nd said:

Google marine grade plywood. I used to work at Georgia Pacific it uses water proof glue and some has oil pressed into on the outside of it under high temp and pressure. They even make boats out of it. if you have to cut it always paint the edges with marine grade paint. Depends on your tank one or two layers of 3/4 inch. A large and long tank may need a cross bar of steel front to back

Great insight! Thanks!